Breaking News Graphic

The Virginia Tech Police Department received a report for a sexual battery incident that occurred in West Ambler Johnston Hall on Tuesday, Feb 12. Another report was received for the same crime on March 22.

According to the report, the survivor and the suspect in both events were acquaintances and Virginia Tech students.

Previously, the Virginia Tech Police Department issued a crime alert on March 25 about a sexual battery incident that occurred on Dec. 10, 2018, in New Cadet Hall West.

The department received the report on Friday, March 22, which is why the alert came out months after the incident. According to the Virginia Tech Police Department, Virginia Tech usually issues crime alerts shortly after reports are filed with the police department.

The crime alert included information about sexual assault, such as the most common types of sexual assault, things that cause vulnerability to sexual assault and a statement that said survivors are never responsible for the incident or harm done to them by the suspect.

Additionally, there are a number of ways the Blacksburg and the Virginia Tech communities can get involved to help foster a safe and supportive environment.

There are a range of personal safety programs that the Virginia Tech Police Department offers, including Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) courses. In addition to the Stop Abuse website for filing reports, assistance is available at each of these resources:

Women's Center at Virginia Tech: 540-231-7806

Women's Resource Center of the New River Valley: 540-639-1123  

Katie Polidoro: Title IX Coordinator: 540-231-1824

Cook Counseling Center: 540-231-6557

Dean of Students Office: 540-231-3787

Virginia Tech Police Department: 540-382-4343

News staff writer and staff photographer

Tahreem Alam is a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with majors in multimedia journalism and international relations. She spends endless hours watching proper ways to take care of cats, even though she has yet to adopt one.