VTPD

Virginia Tech Police Department, Sept. 3, 2018.

On Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019, at approximately 1:39 p.m., the Virginia Tech Police Department issued a crime alert of a sexual assault that took place in West Ambler Johnston between last night, Feb. 23, 2019, and early morning, Feb. 24, 2019. Both the survivor and the suspect are Virginia Tech students and were acquaintances.

This is the first crime alert of the semester following the situational awareness notification that was released last Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019.

Last semester, the Virginia Tech Police Department issued a total of three crime alerts. Two of them were about sexual assaults, and one alert was about a burglary.

There are several resources that are available for anyone who is sexually assaulted. The website www.stopabuse.vt.edu has information for how to file anonymous or formal reports. There are several numbers that can be called for assistance:

Women's Center at Virginia Tech: 540-231-7806

Women's Resource Center of the New River Valley: 540-639-1123

Katie Polidoro: Title IX Coordinator: 540-231-1824

Cook Counseling Center: 540-231-6557

Dean of Students Office: 540-231-3787

Virginia Tech Police Department: 540-382-4343

The Virginia Tech Police Department will investigate, provide assistance, and offer any other services to support the safety and well-being of anyone who reports a sexual assault. The department also offers personal safety programs, such as the Rape Aggression Defense System program.

News staff writer and staff photographer

Tahreem Alam is a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with majors in multimedia journalism and international relations. She spends endless hours watching proper ways to take care of cats, even though she has yet to adopt one.