Breaking News Graphic

The Virginia Tech Police Department (VTPD) identified and spoke to one suspect for an ongoing investigation about package larceny in numerous residence halls.

Some of the residence halls where students have had their packages stolen include Barringer Hall and Miles Hall, according to a crime alert from Oct. 10, 2019. These packages have been stolen from outside of residential rooms left by delivery services.

VTPD stated that the suspect is being cooperative and admitted responsibility for their involvement.

In addition, VTPD urges members of the Virginia Tech community to report suspicious activity related to these thefts to their non-emergency number at 540-382-4343 or online at https://police.vt.edu/crime.html.

Finally, the crime alert included several safety tips to thwart package theft: Require a signature for the delivery, make arrangements for the delivery with a trusted source and lock doors when out of the room or sleeping. All items in residence hall rooms can be easy targets and an unlocked door can be an invitation to a thief.

News Editor

Tahreem Alam is a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with majors in multimedia journalism and international relations. She spends endless hours watching proper ways to take care of cats, even though she has yet to adopt one.