Engineering Expo 2019

Nitesh Manem, a senior Engineering Expo attendee, talks with a potential employer, Squires Student Center, Sep. 11, 2019.

Virginia Tech’s Student Engineers’ Council (SEC) ran its annual Engineering Expo, with 350 companies attending the event Sept. 10-12.

The event is the largest career fair at Virginia Tech as well as one of the largest in the United States. It took place in Squires Student Center. This is the first year the SEC expanded the fair over the course of three days.

“Just over 6,000 engineering students attend the fair each year, ranging from the freshman level to the graduate level,” said Chris Brassel, president of the Student Engineers’ Council.

Companies that attend are provided the opportunity to speak with students and have the option to interview these candidates the following day in Cassell Coliseum.

“We come here because Virginia Tech is one of the top engineering schools in the country,” said Catrina Davis, a recruiter from Sealed Air. “You guys do a really great job of organizing it, and you can tell the students are very prepared.”

Students across all majors within the College of Engineering attend the career fair to speak with recruiters from various companies.

“It’s great exposure,” said Steven Shumadine, a sophomore majoring in computer engineering. “You get experience talking to companies.”

Maddison Hughey, a freshman majoring in general engineering, said that she was amazed at the number of companies at the event. “I think it’s really nice of Virginia Tech to provide (the event) for engineers,” she said.

Additionally, revenue from the event supports endowments through the Virginia Tech Foundation. These endowments will help the SEC continue to financially support student organizations, design teams, and engineering students and faculty for many years to come.

The SEC is prepared to distribute approximately $170,000 in philanthropy to the College of Engineering in 2020 alone, Brassel said.

“Our goal for the event each year is to help provide as many students as possible with internships, co-ops or full-time jobs,” he continued. “We hope that bringing in more companies will help us continue to achieve that goal.”