Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center

Eileen Mahan, director of the Montgomery County Animal Shelter, pets Sparks the cat, Nov. 15, 2018

The Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center (ACAC) located on 480 Cinnabar Road in Christiansburg is where many go to find their new a wonderful place to find your new furry friends. The no-kill animal shelter runs entirely on donations and has received a lot of help from the community in the past year.

“The center runs largely on the support from the community,” said director of ACAC Eileen Mahan. “With the help from the community, we can make the lives of these animals better and get the word out about these animals.”

The most common form of fundraising is from events hosted by various clubs and fraternities at Virginia Tech and Radford University, as well as fundraisers from K–12 schools.

According to the center’s Facebook post, the ACAC recently received about 2,500 pounds of dog food in donations from the community.

The center also hosts several events during the year to raise money and gather supplies for the animals. In May, the center hosted a one-year anniversary celebration to raise money for food and medicine for the animals. The center also does free adoption weekends when it waives the $10 adoption fee and takes donations.

The center frequently sends out requests on Facebook called “Fill the Cart Fridays,” where the center asks for donations of certain items such as food, cat litter and toys. The supplies go a long way in helping the center care for the animals and greatly reduce the cost of running the facility.

According to Mahan, anonymous donations from businesses and residents of Montgomery County and the surrounding locales, as well as initiatives run by the center made an expansion to the shelter possible. The 16,300-square-foot building is located across the highway from the shopping district in Christiansburg and was built in April 2017.

This new facility can comfortably hold many more dogs than the old 4,200-square foot-facility and, for the first time in the organization’s history, hold cats. The new building also has a lobby with several waiting and play rooms to make the experience more pleasant for both the animals and people looking to adopt them.

“The old building wasn’t very welcoming,” Mahan said. “This new building allows people and pets to interact more.”

Students at Virginia Tech can also help the center by volunteering. Students who wish to help walk and care for the dogs at the center must complete two 30-minute training sessions on proper dog walking in order to participate. The center is flexible with volunteer hours so students can adjust their volunteer time to their class schedule.

“Any help is appreciated,” Mahan said.

The center currently houses 162 animals, but had over 200 animals at one point. The shelter is always looking for people to foster the animals.

The center does a Christmas break foster initiative to relieve stress for both the animals and workers, and did this program last year with great success. The center sets up a booth with sign-up sheets, a place where children can visit Santa and an area to collect supplies. The event is currently scheduled for Dec. 15. First Bank and Trust will match all donations on this day.

Montgomery County Animal Shelter, Nov. 15, 2018