Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez to visit Tech - Collegiate Times : New River Valley

|
||

Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez to visit Tech

Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:00 am

Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen will make a stop at Virginia Tech next Wednesday, Sept. 28, at 7:30 p.m.

John Boyer, a geography instructor, and his 3,000-person world regions class created a YouTube video asking the actors visit Tech during their cross-country tour, promoting their upcoming movie “The Way.”

The actors’ video, “The Way to VT,” had 12,661 views as of Wednesday, after 15 days of being posted.

“As far as we know, they’re coming,” Boyer said. “Emilio Estevez just tweeted that they’re going to be here.”

Estevez tweeted: “Hear ye, hear ye: ‘The Way’ is coming to Virginia Tech.”

Emily Goodrich, a freshman English major, said she was surprised by actor’s quick response. 

“We made a video, and less than three hours later the person we wanted to see it saw it, and that normally doesn’t happen,” Goodrich, a student in world regions, said. 

Boyer said he hasn’t figured out how tickets will be handled, but a plan will be in place by Monday.

“Since the whole thing has been a social media experiment, we probably won’t advertise at all,” Boyer said. “But those that are most attuned to my Facebook and Twitter will know first.”

It is likely the event won’t need to be advertised to fill Burruss Hall auditorium for the appearance.

Nearly 7,000 people liked the “The Way to VT” Facebook page, a group created to bring the tour to Tech.

When the announcement that the tour would make a stop at Tech was posted, 359 people liked it in the first hour.

Boyer said tickets will be free.

“It’s all for the students,” Boyer said.