Flu shot clinic offers a way for students to get vaccine

Entrance of Schiffert Health Center, Nov. 5, 2021.

Flu season is starting to kick in for Hokies as the temperature drops and the days grow shorter. With the change in season comes the flu. Due to the spread of respiratory illness with the COVID-19 pandemic, containing the spread of the flu is a necessity, according to the flu information provided from Virginia Tech. It is never too late to receive a flu shot, and it is best to get the shot yearly around the start of fall.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states flu vaccines for the 2021–22 flu season are designed to protect against four strains of the flu. It is never too late to be able to get the flu shot. Schiffert Health Center is a convenient way for Hokies to get the flu vaccine on campus. The cost of the vaccine can be paid through cash, check or Hokie Passport. If a student decides to pay later, the cost will be added to a student’s Hokie Wallet balance.

Hokies can also find flu vaccines easily through participating pharmacies around the Blacksburg area.

“It’s a great option for students to have and it’s very accessible,” said Lizzy Chronister, a sophomore majoring in accounting and information systems, who will be getting her flu shot at Schiffert Health Center.

Even if vaccinated with the flu shot, students can stay safe with a few basic habits that can help prevent the spread of the flu. Avoiding contact with ill students, washing hands frequently, and avoiding touching your face and eyes without washing your hands are some of the ways that students can prevent the spread of the flu, according to Schiffert.