VTPD recording devices

Images of recording devices found in two campus restrooms.

The then-Virginia Tech student who was accused of putting two disguised video recording devices in the bathrooms of two university buildings will be performing community service and start attending counseling sessions.

According to The Roanoke Times, 19-year-old Andrew O. Wildman will be found guilty of trespassing instead of unauthorized filming of a nude person. Even though Wildman agreed that the evidence was sufficient to convict him, he entered a plea of not guilty to the nude filming charge.

Moreover, Judge Jerry Mabe suggested to Wildman in court that he accept the trespassing charges now, while he waits for the year-long nudity conviction decision, according to The Roanoke Times.

Thus, Wildman is set to be convicted for trespassing, but the filming of a nude person charge will be decided upon in the coming year. Until then, he must complete 100 hours of community service and continue counselling sessions in order to avoid further criminal charges.

Mark Owczarski, assistant vice president of University Relations, said Wildman is no longer a student at Virginia Tech.

The Virginia Tech Police Department issued a situational awareness alert on Feb. 21 stating that they had recovered two video recording devices disguised as a USB wall charger and a clothing hook in two public restrooms on campus. The Roanoke Times reported that the Commonwealth’s Attorney Mary Pettitt wrote in an email that the devices were found in bathrooms in the Newman Library and Eggleston Hall.

Wildman was arrested in February after the discovery of the cameras. He later confessed that he purchased the cameras from eBay and put them in the bathrooms about a week before they were found.

Mabe decided to take the case under advisement and review the case in April 2020.

In addition, Wildman will be under the supervision of the Virginia Alcohol Safety Action Program.

News Editor

News editor for the Collegiate Times