Global Education Fair

Students at Virginia Tech gather for the Global Education Fair on September 24, 2015.

Study Abroad Week will feature several presentations and events regarding study abroad opportunities and is hosted by the Global Education Office at Virginia Tech from Sept. 16-22.

Three events during the week are the Global Education Fall Fair, an information session about financing a study abroad trip and a Study Abroad 101 presentation during family weekend.

“I know there’s going to be a lot of hesitation (about funding study abroad), but don’t let those barriers stop you,” said Peter Stewart, Global Education Office representative. “There’s plenty of people I know that were able to pretty much fund their trip entirely through scholarships.”

The first event, a Study Abroad 101 presentation, took place Monday, Sept. 16, and went over different programs, statistics and resources relating to study abroad programs. Presenters discussed topics such as positive international safety statistics and study abroad-alumni satisfaction rates.

In addition, an assortment of freshmen, sophomores and juniors attended the presentation, all interested in studying abroad at some point in their Virginia Tech career.

“I want to broaden my horizons and see how people live their lives in other countries,” said Kevin Gill, a sophomore majoring in political science. “I love to travel and pairing it with Virginia Tech credit makes it the best of both worlds.”

According to Stewart, the Global Education Fall Fair is the event students should attend if they are only available to attend one day of Study Abroad Week. This event will take place Sept. 18 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the Drillfield.

Virginia Tech faculty who lead different study abroad programs will attend the fair and are available to answer any questions students may have. Students from international universities will also be present to answer questions about their relative universities’ exchange programs.

According to data given during the presentation Monday, 95% of study abroad alumni report personal growth, 70% said it has helped build valuable jobs skills and 90% felt abroad experience helped them obtain their first job.

Moreover, data from distributed handouts state that study abroad students have a 17.8% higher graduation rate than non-study abroad students and have a $7,000 higher starting salary on average.

The extended deadline for winter and spring study abroad applications is Sept. 29, 2019.

For more information about Study Abroad Week, visit https://www.globaleducation.vt.edu/Homepage.html.