University Graduation and Commencement Ceremony

University Graduation and Commencement Ceremony, Dec. 20, 2019.

Class of 2020 commencement will occur online on Friday, May 15, at 6:30 p.m. ET in the wake of the COVID-19 procedures.

This is the first time Virginia Tech has held a commencement as an online format. By hosting the commencement online, Virginia Tech is adapting to the various orders put in place due to the COVID-19 situation.

The online format will have staples of a traditional commencement. It will include remarks from student speakers and congratulations from President Tim Sands and Provost Cyril Clarke.

Virginia Tech has also formed a group of prominent alumni as commencement speakers. These speakers include former VT defensive coordinator Bud Foster; Miss America 2020 and class of 2018 alumna Camille Schrier; and world-renowned poet Nikki Giovnni, who will be reciting a poem.

Students will also have the opportunity to listen to their college dean’s remarks and hear their name read.

The Corps of Cadets and ROTC will also have an opportunity to experience their special ceremony online.

Leading up to commencement, students are encouraged to post cap and gown pictures on social media with the #HokieGrad hashtag and to also submit photos to bit.ly/gradphotosvt20.

Hokie Grads are also encouraged to submit video clips of their favorite college memories to bit.ly/vtprojectgrad for the chance to be featured in a commencement video created by Humans of VT.

Alumni, friends and family will also have an opportunity to celebrate and participate in the commencement. Alumni can share 10-20 second videos expressing their encouragement or advice by emailing alumni@vt.edu. Friends and family will be able to share a 10-20 second message to their Hokie grad by submitting a video to bit.ly/vt20supportvideos.

A recap of the graduation ceremony will be available on VT.edu and viewable on-demand afterward.

In addition to the online commendence, graduates and two guests of their choice are invited to celebrate commencement with a senior tailgate and complimentary attendance to the Sept. 26 home football game this fall.

Graduates are also allowed to participate in formal commencement ceremonies in December 2020 and May 2021.