Breaking News Graphic

The Virginia Tech Police Department (VTPD) issued a timely warning Monday, Nov. 11, regarding a report of a sexual assault that occured Nov. 2. The incident occurred in New Cadet Hall.

According to the release, the survivor and suspect are both Virginia Tech students and were acquaintances.

VTPD timely warnings and crime alerts are similar kinds of alerts; however, timely warnings are more specific to sexual assaults, VTPD stated.

In addition to the report, VTPD included several facts and information related to sexual assault. Some of these included understanding that the most common sexual assault incidents happen between acquaintances, that survivors are never responsible for the behavior of the suspect and to be active in stopping abuse in the community. Members of the community can go to http://stopabuse.vt.edu/Get_Involved.html to learn more.

Furthermore, to report a sexual assault and for more information on taking the next steps, people can go to www.stopabuse.vt.edu. Assistance is also available at the following resources:

Women's Center at Virginia Tech: 540-231-7806

Women's Resource Center of the New River Valley: 540-639-1123

Katie Polidoro, Title IX coordinator: 540-231-1824

Cook Counseling Center: 540-231-6557

Dean of Students Office: 540-231-3787

Virginia Tech Police Department: 540-382-4343

News Editor

Tahreem Alam is a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with majors in multimedia journalism and international relations. She spends endless hours watching proper ways to take care of cats, even though she has yet to adopt one.