D2 Dining Hall

A customer picks up a dessert at the D2 Dining Hall, July 25, 2019.

On-campus dining will be updating how it functions to help minimize the spread of COVID-19.

Fall 2020 off-campus dining plans have been suspended. Students living off campus cannot purchase a dining plan, and if already purchased, it will be canceled automatically in StarRez. 

The university is working with the town of Blacksburg to expand food options for students. It is  also considering increasing the number of food trucks on and off campus. Off-campus students still have the ability to buy food at the coffee vendor in Newman Library, and the Subway and Seattle's Best in Johnston Student Center. 

The university is in the process of creating more quick “grab-n-gobble” options. It is also expanding a Grubhub kiosk, which will allow students to order and pay for their food before picking it up.

Off-campus students can add themselves to a waitlist if they are still interested in purchasing an off-campus dining plan. If off-campus students had roll-over plans from last semester, they will be able to use this plan for the Fall 2020 semester only. However, they are not allowed to add additional money to their account. 

Dining halls will operate at reduced capacity. For example, Turner place traditionally accommodates 800 people, but under new guidelines it will only be accommodating 300 people. Tables will be set 9 feet apart and will be limited to four people. 

Self-serving stations such as the salad bar have been eliminated. Dining halls will also be running a reduced menu, but popular dishes such as chicken parmesan will be served.

Students in line are expected to observe social distancing. Dining halls have installed plexiglass to protect workers and students. Hand sanitizers will be available at the entrance of buildings and other locations throughout the building. 

Dining services has installed touchless Hokie Passport payment systems in dining halls. Students can no longer use credit and debit cards in dining halls. 

The university is encouraging students to not linger in dining halls, but to get their food, eat and leave.