Burruss Hall

Burruss Hall, Nov. 4, 2018.

Virginia Tech recently announced its largest fundraising campaign to date. The Boundless Impact campaign for Virginia Tech will strive to earn $1.5 billion to maintain and improve programs and plans across campus.

On Friday, Oct. 11, Virginia Tech President Tim Sands announced this new fundraising campaign at the Moss Arts Center. This was the same night that Anderson .Paak performed live on the Drillfield, with both of these events celebrating the announcement of this new campaign.

“It’s a challenging vision, the kind of challenge that always brings out the best in the Virginia Tech community,” Sands said to VT News. He also announced that in addition to the primary goal of raising $1.5 billion, the Boundless Impact campaign will also work to engage and help over 100,000 Virginia Tech alumni.

Charlie Phlegar, Virginia Tech’s vice president for university advancement, said that the university hopes to get alumni and others involved in this campaign in order to reach their goals, according to The Roanoke Times. Phlegar also reportedly estimated that 98% of the funds raised during this campaign will come from smaller donations.

The campaign has several different programs and constructions it hopes to fund. Some funds will go toward projects such as the construction of the Global Business and Analytics Complex in Blacksburg, growing the Health Sciences and Technology campus in Roanoke and funding the new Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia.

However, the funds from this campaign will not only go toward funding these projects. VT News reported that another major priority of the Boundless Impact campaign will be to improve the diversity of the student body. This campaign aims to improve the recruitment of minority groups to Virginia Tech. One of the university’s goals is to have 40% of the student body come from underrepresented groups.

The campaign is currently scheduled to run through 2027, and President Tim Sands believes this campaign will bring about innovation and positive change for the university and its community.

“We are at a unique moment in our history, grounded by nearly 150 years of tradition and shaped by a steadfast mission to serve humanity and take our place in the world as a catalyst for innovation that impacts everyday life,” Sands said.