VTPD recording devices

Images of recording devices found in two campus restrooms.

On Thursday, Feb. 21, at 4:18 p.m., the Virginia Tech Police Department issued a situational awareness alert stating that they have recovered two reported video recording devices that were located in public restrooms on campus.

The report stated that one device was disguised as a USB wall charger that was plugged into a live electrical outlet, and the other device was disguised as a clothing hook that was mounted with adhesive and Velcro onto a bathroom wall.

The photos of the two devices can be found here.

At 8:26 p.m. VT Police released an update stating that a suspect was identified, is being cooperative with law enforcement and has admitted responsibility for their part in the incident.

If anyone has information regarding these incidents, contact the Virginia Tech Police Department at 540-382-4343 and ask to speak with an officer.

The Virginia Tech Police Department reminds anyone who encounters suspicious devices, such as recording devices, not to remove the item as this could interfere with obtaining evidence and contact the department at the aforementioned phone number.

News Editor

Tahreem Alam is a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with majors in multimedia journalism and international relations. She spends endless hours watching proper ways to take care of cats, even though she has yet to adopt one.