Hokies dominate UVa, wrap up ACC title game berth - Collegiate Times : Virginia Tech

|
||

Hokies dominate UVa, wrap up ACC title game berth

Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 12:00 am

Make no mistake about it folks, the Hokies remain the kings of football in the state of Virginia.

After Virginia put up a solid fight in the first half, and went into halftime trailing just 14-0, Virginia Tech came out in the second half and laid a beating on their in-state rivals, winning by a score of 38-0.

Related: Photo gallery

"I'm proud of our football team," said Frank Beamer, head coach. "To come in here against a very hot team and very good football team, and just play as well as we did and take it to them the way we did - I'm really proud of them."

After the Cavaliers (8-4, 5-3 ACC) took down Florida State 14-13 last Saturday night, this contest decided who was going to play in the ACC Championship Game next weekend against Clemson.

And, even though many predicted an upset, as the Hoos were coming in on a four-game winning streak, Tech simply refused to let that happen, while holding UVa to half as many rushing yards (30) as they had penalty yards (54).

Logan Thomas had another big day for the Hokies (11-1, 7-1), as he finished 13 of 21 passing for 187 yards and two touchdowns, to go along with 27 yards on the ground and a rushing touchdown. His team outplayed Virginia quarterback and his fellow Lynchburg native Michael Rocco.

"I just wanted to go out there and play as hard and best as I could," Thomas said. "They've been talking all week about me and Michael. Michael's a great player, and I think we will both progress as our careers go on. Best of luck to him as well."

His coach offered high praise for his signal-caller.

"He's in control," Beamer said of Thomas. "I love that about him. He takes the blame, he's just a great leader for us, he gets the job done, and the players really respect him. I don't think you could ask for anything better."

This marks the 12th win for the Hokies in the two team’s past 13 contests, including their eighth win in a row.

"The rivalry's gone our way the past couple years, and nobody was really talking about us," Thomas said. "They were all talking about Virginia, and how well they were gonna do. We kind of took it as a slap in the face."

David Wilson responded in a big way after last week’s disappointing performance against North Carolina with a 24-carry, 153-yard output to go along with two rushing touchdowns.

"We had very few errors today," Wilson said of his team's performance. "I think that was part of the reason the score played out the way it did."

Wilson also helped his team outrush UVa 183-30, a completely dominating output.

"Regardless of who the ball goes to on this offense, we're going to make plays," Wilson said.

The Hokies “lunch pail” defense didn’t exactly dominate the game the way the score would indicate, as Virginia had the ball in Tech territory six different times during the game.

They came away with nothing to show for it, as they missed a field goal, had several drives stall, and failed to convert on a 4th and 2 from the seven-yard line early in the game.

"I think it was just effort, sound play and a good game plan," Beamer said of his defense. "I really respect Virginia and their offense and how they do things. They know what they're doing. I think we shut out a really good football team."

While the front seven didn’t do a great job of pressuring Rocco in the first half, the made up for it in the second half, forcing him into three turnovers.

Cornerback Detrick Bonner and defensive end JR Collins both snagged their first career interceptions of Rocco, and linebacker Jack Tyler recovered a fumble after a Kyle Fuller sack.

"Whenever it's a younger quarterback, you know that his reads are going to be a little slower than maybe a senior," Tyler said. "If you get after him quick, he's going to have to rush things, make plays with his feet, and you want do that to a young quarterback."

Marcus Davis, who hasn’t received a huge amount of touches this season, gave an impressive effort, as he caught five passes for 119 yards and a touchdown. 

He caught two bombs from Thomas – 36 and 52 yards – in the first half, both of which led to scores, and went over 100 yards receiving in a game for the first time since the season opener against Appalachian State.

"Coach said the ball was going in the air, four vertical routes," Davis said of his first long catch. "We didn't know who was getting the ball, we didn't know where Logan was looking. He just so happened to look my way, and I saw the ball in the air, and had to attack it."

The Hokies will need to continue running on all cylinders if they’re to avenge their lone loss on the year and beat Clemson next Saturday in the ACC Championship Game.

"It's a fantastic thing for us," Beamer said, on his team getting back to the ACCCG. "This team has hung in there throughout the year after the early loss to Clemson and some injuries. It wasn't always pretty but we played hard. What happened here tonight and getting back is really special in my way of thinking."

That game will take place at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m.