Tech and FitNet join to research virtual fitness training - Collegiate Times : Virginia Tech

|
||

Tech and FitNet join to research virtual fitness training

Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:00 am

Depending on the results of work being done between Virginia Tech researchers and the creators of the app FitNet, virtual fitness training may soon become a growing trend.

Tech and FitNet are calling the project FitGENI, and are looking to discover whether participants in a remote fitness class see better results and are more satisfied when their experience is viewed in high resolution.

“We hypothesize that you will have a better experience and see better results exercising with the highest definition,” said Mark Gardner, network research manager in information technology at Virginia Tech and principal investigator for the FitGENI project.

Tech’s contribution to the project stems mainly from their GENI (Global Environment for Network Innovations, pronounced like ‘genie’) link, which is essentially a virtual laboratory for exploring future internets at scale and doing networking research. The goal of GENI is to enhance experimental research in computer networking and to accelerate the transition of this research into products and services that will improve the economic competitiveness of the United States.

FitGENI intends to test a subject group by having them take remote fitness classes, with different members viewing the instructor at a different resolution and then tracking their fitness progress and satisfaction level.

Tech’s GENI laboratory will be assisting in transferring the live feed, which can be very taxing on a network when displayed in high definition. Gardner said that most of that heavy network lifting will be done at Tech.

Running these tests on the GENI network will also help determine possible capacity and bandwidth information for FitNet’s app.

For FitNet, this means following the trend toward more remote activities.  In this case, the fitness instructor will be able to see a participant’s progress instantaneously and fully interact with them. This will also give the participant the flexibility to exercise from home or even during a work break, depending on their schedule.