In-state recruiting battle still favors Hokies - Collegiate Times : Virginia Tech

|
||

In-state recruiting battle still favors Hokies

Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:00 am

The dominance of in-state recruiting isn’t over yet, at least not if Shane Beamer has anything to do with it.

In Beamer’s first full season on the recruiting trail, he helped the Virginia Tech football team bring in a 2012 recruiting class ranked No. 22 nationally by Rivals.com. The class consisted of 28 players, seven of which were four-star recruits, and is considered by some to be amongst the strongest recruiting classes Tech football has seen.

The class of 2013, however, may have something to say about that.

As good as the 2012 class looks to be, the Tech coaching staff has done an even better job this offseason.

Despite eventually being canceled because of thunderstorms, the annual spring game was a huge success for Tech on the recruiting trail, as it picked up a wave recruits after they visited campus.

The biggest pickup of the day was Bucky Hodges, a 6-foot-6-inch, 225-pound quarterback from Salem High School in Virginia Beach. Hodges, who is ranked by 24/7 Sports as the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the country, has grown many comparisons to current Hokies signal caller Logan Thomas because of his size and ability to move around in the pocket.

Also on that day, four-star cornerback Charles Clark committed. Clark comes from Suffolk, Va. at King’s Fork High School. The 5-foot-11, 183-pound defensive back has made his presence felt at both running back and corner while at King’s Fork. His time at Virginia Tech, however, will be spent on the defensive side of the bal, as the coaches have made it clear that is what he has been recruited to do.

Joining Clark in the defensive secondary at Tech is arguably the biggest commit in program history.

Kendall Fuller, a 6-foot, 175-pound cornerback from Good Counsel is the first five-star recruit for the Hokies since Tyrod Taylor in 2007 and just the fourth since 2002. Rivals ranks Kendall Fuller currently as the No. 3 player nationally while 24/7 has him at No. 12. Both sites have him as the top recruit in the state of Maryland.

Fuller joins his family in Blacksburg as he is the fourth brother to play for Virginia Tech. His older brother, Vincent, played safety for the Hokies from 2001-2004 and went on to have a mildly successful career in the NFL. Corey ran track at Kansas for two years before transferring to Tech and is now competing for playing time as a senior wide receiver. Kyle, who is considered by some to be amongst the best cornerbacks in the country this year, is a junior and plans to be able to play with his brother for his final season.

Holland Fisher is another four-star defensive back the Hokies picked up this offseason as the team deals with depth issues on the current team in the secondary. Fisher is a 6-foot-1, 197-pound safety being pursued by the likes of Alabama and Connecticut. He is ranked by 24/7 as the No. 3 player in the state of Virginia.

Fisher comes from Clover Hill High in Midlothian, Va. where he was teammates with current Hokies freshman wide receiver Joel Caleb. While safety remains the expected position of Fisher once he arrives in Blacksburg, the possibility of playing outside linebacker still remains.

The latest commitment for Tech came on August 17, when defensive end Wyatt Teller chose the Hokies over their rival Virginia in what was a very tough decision. Teller joined Fuller and Fisher as the third commit for Tech ranked in the Rivals Top 100, coming in at No. 89.

Teller is a 6-foot-5, 275-pound defensive lineman hailing from Liberty High in Bealeton, Va. and is considered by many to be among the top 20 defensive ends in the country. In his junior year, he registered 85 tackles and 9.5 sacks, while also forcing four fumbles and snagging three interceptions.

The class of 2013 for Tech football is currently ranked No. 14 in the country by 24/7 Sports with 17 commitments including a five-star and five four-stars. With a some subtle changes in the coaching staff and a surge of in-state talent choosing to come to Blacksburg, it appears the Hokies still reign supreme on the recruiting trails in Virginia.