Police arrest student regarding Yik Yak threat

Kiung Moon

Blacksburg and Virginia Tech police confirmed in a press release that they have a suspect in custody regarding the threat made on Yik Yak Tuesday night.

At 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Kiung Moon turned himself into Virginia Tech police. He was then taken into custody after being identified as a suspect. 

Moon, a 21-year-old senior majoring in business information technology, is being charged with Harassment by Computer, which is a class one misdemeanor. 

Tuesday night, April 28, a threat to the Virginia Tech community was posted on the anonymous social media app Yik Yak.

Around 11:15 p.m., an unknown user posted “Another 4.16 moment is going to happen tomorrow. Just a warning (sic).”

The Virginia Tech Police Department released a crime alert statement Wednesday morning via email informing students that VTPD was conducting an investigation throughout the night in conjunction with the Blacksburg Police Department.

“Both departments are pursuing several active leads this morning,” the statement read. “At this time, the VTPD has not obtained any additional information that would suggest this is a credible threat.”

While Yik Yak is known for providing anonymity to posters, it does log certain information for each post. Specifically, Yik Yak stores the IP address, GPS coordinates and time and date from which a message was posted.

“Yik Yak discloses user account information only in accordance with applicable law,” according to the Yik Yak website’s legal page. “Yik Yak may disclose user account information to law enforcement — without a subpoena, court order or search warrant — in response to a valid emergency.”