Service with VT Engage starts on personal level - Collegiate Times : Columnists

|
||

Service with VT Engage starts on personal level

Posted: Monday, September 6, 2010 12:00 am

Were you one of the thousands of people who traveled through the Squires parking lot, surrounding streets, and campus sidewalks last week for the third annual Gobblerfest and this year’s Seasons of Service kickoff?

If you were, you no doubt took advantage of the countless freebies, coupons and food giveaways that flooded the streets. You also connected with fellow Hokies and the wonderful community members of Blacksburg, enjoyed the music and shared in the many exciting events sponsored by UUSA and the Gobblerfest team.

Did you have an opportunity to visit the VT-Engage tent? This booth held the registration where 490 people signed up to volunteer their time for “32 for 32,” a student-led initiative where Hokies pledged 32 hours of community service in memory of the April 16, 2007, victims.

Those service hours should be completed by April 16, thus demonstrating that Hokies truly do have a heart for service. If you have any doubts, look around campus for those who pledged more than 14,000 hours of service; they may be seen sporting their “Hokies have a Heart for Service” T-shirts.

You may have also signed up for the “Fall Day of Service” on Saturday, Oct. 2, in the Squires Commonwealth Ballroom; a collaborative community-university project with Stop Hunger Now, a national non-profit organization.

If you are one of those people, then you already know that you will be a part of history, as you will be sharing in the packing of more than one million meals that will travel directly from Hokies to Haiti. It will be the second-largest packing exercise in the history of Stop Hunger Now.

If you missed the Stop Hunger Now/Blacksburg United Methodist Church or VT-Engage booths, that’s not a problem. You can still participate in both events.

The Fall Day of Service needs 2,000 volunteers to be successful in packaging all of the food and loading the entire 53-foot shipping container. Register in advance to be sure that you get the best time slot for your schedule.

There are several packing times, as well as setup and cleanup events that will need willing workers. Bring your friends so you can all watch the Hokies face off with North Carolina State University on a big screen. If you’re not sure how you would like to help with the project, you can find more information and then register online by going to www.Engage.vt.edu/StopHungerNow.

What do you mean you didn’t make it to Gobblerfest?

Have no fear, VT-Engage is here. Simply go to Engage.vt.edu and log on to create a pledge of service hours. You can still participate in the “32 for 32” initiative as well. When you have completed some of your hours, return to the page, and record your service. Any form of community service counts toward

VT-Engage: class service requirements, sorority/fraternity/club volunteer activities, special church happenings and Seasons of Service events.

If you want to talk about ideas or just meet some of the staff, visit us at The Center for Student Engagement and Community Partnerships.

We are the force behind VT-Engage and the Seasons of Service events. Our role is to provide opportunities for students who have brilliant ideas, positive attitudes, strong work ethics and hearts for service.

Follow us on Facebook and get updates about Seasons of Service, VT-Engage and other projects and events. Visit our website, VTServes.vt.edu, and see what programs are available for you. Better yet, stop by our offices on the first floor of Litton-Reaves and see us in person. We will be happy to answer your questions and help you find a place where you can build a relationship with your school and community through service.