(Opinion) Ambiguous gun laws

An AR-15 rifle with an attached silencer lies on the floor at a gun range at the NRA headquarters in Fairfax, Virginia, March 20, 2017.

I would hope that if the reporters and opinion writers of the Collegiate Times failed to know and incorporate facts into their reporting, the editors would inject some fact checking — guess not.

Let’s look at the facts regarding the National Rifle Association (NRA).

1. What is the oldest civil rights organization in America? The NRA, established in 1871. It has always defended the Second Amendment and believes in all of the Bill of Rights.

2. What organization proposed, helped lobby for and helped institute the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)? The NRA, as part of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993.

3. What organization has lobbied for including people adjudicated mentally disturbed into the NICS? The NRA.

4. What politician promised to help the NRA do just that, but has never done so? Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-New York).

5. What organization has evaluated the security environment of over 150 American schools for free? The NRA with its School Shield program.

6. What organization has provided security suggestions to protect our children in over 150 schools for free? The NRA.

7. What organization offers free training for school security operations? The NRA.

8. What organization trains more police officers than any other? The NRA.

9. What organization teaches firearms safety to our children for free? The NRA’s Eddie Eagle program.

10. What organization teaches firearms safety to women who fear for their lives due to domestic violence threats? The NRA.

11. What organization is not in the top 50 political contributors, according to OpenSecrets? The NRA.

12. What organization represents over 5,000,000 American citizen members? The NRA.

13. What organization represents 120,000,000 gun-owning, law-abiding American citizens? The NRA.

14. What organization has lobbied for the enforcement of ALL laws regarding the illegal purchase of firearms? The NRA. As an example, in 2010, roughly 80,000 prohibited people committed a felony by trying to buy a gun. Just 44 were prosecuted by our federal government. Again, a failure of our government to protect us — like the FBI agent who ignored the warning tip about the Florida shooter, and the sheriff's department that investigated the shooter 39 times and did nothing, and the uniformed, trained and armed school resource deputy sheriff who fled outside once the shooting started.

15. What organization proposed, funded and supported the enforcement of ALL FEDERAL FIREARM law violations in Richmond in the 1990s — which resulted in a drop of over 30 percent in gun-related crimes? The NRA’s Project Exile.

16. What organization trained the AR-15-armed private citizen Stephen Willeford (a non-police officer) who shot the mass killer in Texas? The NRA.

I know facts are pesky little creatures, but they are very helpful when critically examining any subject. President Sands wants all Hokies to learn how to undertake such questioning. The Collegiate Times should do the same.