Polar Politics: Republican National Convention achieves its goals - Collegiate Times : Polar Politics

|
||

Polar Politics: Republican National Convention achieves its goals

Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:00 am | Updated: 12:34 pm, Fri Jul 26, 2013.

The political spotlight was on the Republican Party this week as they held their national convention in Tampa, Florida. For a few days, the GOP had undivided attention from the national media. Except for when MSNBC refused to cover any minority speaker at the convention in an obvious effort to continue to paint the party as the “old white man” party, It used that national media attention to showcase the 2012 Republican Presidential ticket.

Republicans wanted to achieve a vast array of goals during this convention. The first, unveil the party platform and present it in a way that appeals to all Americans. Second, the party wanted to, and needed to, introduce Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan to the American people; introduce them not just as candidates, but as people as well.

Finally, the party wanted Romney to appeal to the core of the conservative right in this country, and energize that base to start pounding the pavement and turn out every possible vote in November. The GOP conveyed the party believes this is the winning ticket, and that the fight will easily carry on full force until the last polls close.

So did they accomplish these goals? Yes.

First off, look at the type of press coming out of the convention. Aside from the usual attacks from the left that Ann Romney is spoiled and Paul Ryan is an extremist (because apparently the millions of Americans who balance their checkbooks every month are extremists too) there wasn’t a lot of damaging or negative press that came out of Tampa this week.

The only exception to the positive press may be those who are claiming the party establishment treated Ron Paul and his supporters unfairly when there were attempts to nominate Ron Paul from the floor. First off, Ron Paul was never going to walk out of that convention as the nominee, and anyone who doesn’t agree with me on that apparently counts delegates the same way President Obama counts dollars.

Additionally, the idea the party establishment treated Ron Paul “unfairly” is a claim coming from the left, not the right. The left wants the American people to believe the inner workings of the Republican Party are corrupt.

Politics, however, is a game, and that game is played on both sides of the aisle.

There were countless great speeches during the week from a wide array of Republican politicians and figureheads. The most fascinating, in my opinion, were the speeches from the likes of Mia Love, Susana Martinez and Nikki Haley.

Love is the mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah, and is a candidate for Congress this year as well. She’s also African-American, although Al Sharpton would probably prefer you don’t know that.

Martinez is the first female governor of New Mexico and the first female Hispanic governor in the United States, but Chris Matthews still wants you to believe every Hispanic person in this country can’t possibly identify with the white supremacist views of the Republican Party.

Haley is governor of South Carolina, and a daughter of Sikh immigrants from India. However, every liberal talking head out there wants you to believe the Republican Party is anti-immigration and anti-women.

None of these speakers fulfills the stereotype cast by Democrats on the leaders of the GOP.

I also firmly believe the American people are now more familiar with Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan and the Republican Party as a whole.

One of the most anticipated speeches was from Ann Romney. She needed to personalize her husband while also appealing to women, a voting bloc Obama is expected to win. If you saw her speech, you know she knocked that one right out of the park.

It was phenomenal, and exactly the type of speech a party hopes to see from someone who could possibly be the next first lady of the United States.

Paul Ryan did a fantastic job as well when he gave his speech accepting the vice presidential nomination. He even gave one of my favorite quotes from the whole convention:

“College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life.”

It shows the Republicans are concerned about the issues facing our generation; something the President hasn’t spent too much time showing concern for. It also encapsulates the fact people are struggling under President Obama’s failed policies when they don’t have to be. This country can be fixed, and the Republicans can turn this economy around.

For those of you who didn’t watch at least part of the GOP Convention this week, you missed out. And for those of you who think I’ve covered all the highlights, you’re sadly mistaken.

The Republicans may be leaving Tampa, but they are taking with them a wave of energy and enthusiasm that Mitt Romney is riding, and he could very well ride it all the way to the Oval Office.