Relationships are like the subject of raising children; everyone offers their unsolicited opinion whether or not they actually have relevant experience.

Multi-million dollar television programing and magazines like Oprah, Cosmopolitan and Marie Claire dedicate entire slots to relationship advice in addition to regular article pieces. These shows and columns often discuss the “perfect” time to be in a relationship even though it's completely relative. This error in logic leads to the wrongful attachment of the "puppy love" stigma to relationships involving young people.

Being in romantic relationships, like all other ones in life, can help people learn and grow, whether the outcome is a heartbreak or happily ever after.

Age and emotional maturity don’t always run parallel; therefore success, or failure shouldn’t be attributed by age. Too often marriages fail after 20 plus years, in which case being older doesn’t guarantee happier times either.

In past generations, dating and marriage took place at much younger ages than those of today, yet lasted a long time, if not ‘til death did them part. However, the duration of a relationship doesn’t say much either, some people never leave an abusive one, while others search better options while being in a happy one. People taking part in such bonds are the only ones aware of all the specifics and should be the ones determining the worth.

Success of a relationship is also subjective depending on the definition of success for each individual. It could be measured by the learning experience and growth of an individual from relationships. Being with a significant other allows one to learn to compromise and care for another in a way different than what he/she is used to.

Not all relationships have to last forever or end up in marriage to be considered worth it. Many relationships do not last long at all, yet leave impressions on the ones involved. Interacting with such intimacy can allow one to develop self-awareness. Individuals can learn not only about others and what they like in a partner, they also can learn about themselves and their qualities and flaws as partners. Some can enable their counterparts to strive and reach their potential. It is up to the individuals to recognize their perfect match and the time to be involved with them.

Advice regarding this subject is dished out everywhere. Everyone has a specific idea of how it should work and what the right time is, depending on their personal experience. Not everything that works for some is guaranteed to work for others. Age or time is not the determining factor in success or failure of romantic involvement. No one has the perfect solution to other people’s relationships because relationships are like raising children; no one is sure how “exactly” it works, yet it is a growth opportunity for all involved.