Donald Trump

Can we stop defending Donald Trump’s statements and his shady dealings?

Since the beginning of his run for office, several red flags have been raised of which Americans definitely should be taking stock.

Trust me, I am no Hillary supporter. She has been dishonest and untrustworthy, and hiding emails on your own server is definitely a crime. The allegations surrounding the Clinton Foundation and donations received from Russia amidst a uranium deal should not be swept under the rug either. I am not going to defend her actions, but this article will focus on Trump’s misgivings.

Let’s start at the lowest level of analyzing this man and get to more gravely concerning issues.

Trump has said, “When Mexico sends its people ... They’re bringing drugs. They’re bring crime. They’re rapists … And some, I assume, are good people.” 

Many people have defended this statement by saying that it was taken out of context, that he is not calling Mexicans rapists and criminals, but should we as a nation have to defend such a statement made by a presidential nominee in the first place? Is disenfranchising now 33.7 million Mexican Americans in the United States really a presidential thing to do?

Remember that our president is the figurehead for foreign relations, and while the ideal is that we don’t need other countries, maintaining a global reputation for stability is still to our advantage.

Now let’s not forget about Trump completely disrespecting women and all the progress that women’s rights movements and feminists have strived so hard to create.

Here are some numerous quotes from him about women:

“You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass.” 

“I just start kissing them … And when you’re a star, they let you do it … Grab them by the pussy, you can do anything.”

“You’re disgusting (in reaction to a woman asking for a break to breast feed).”

"You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever." 

And after his 2005 recording of his “locker room talk," many Republicans either withdrew their endorsements of him or expressed dissatisfaction, including Senator John McCain and Speaker Paul Ryan. Many Republican representatives such as Sean Duffy and Mike Lee have come out saying Trump’s comments were insulting to their wives and daughters.

But was this the right time to withdraw their endorsements and verbal support, or should they have done that a long time ago?

If you are a senator, you should be representing the American people in your district, not only your own wives and daughters.

What about when Trump insulted and threw Mexican immigrants under the bus months ago? Or when he says there should be a temporary ban on Muslim immigrants? Or when he said waterboarding should be used on people even if it doesn’t obtain any evidence? Can someone have a net worth of 3.7 billion dollars and really understand the struggles of Americans in poverty, or the struggles of a middle class American?

We used to be a braver nation, and we were not so scared of the people around us.

We need to understand again that Americans are not just one type of person, that you can identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, a member of the KKK or a member of Black Lives Matter, an Irish, Polish, Mexican or Asian immigrant, a gun enthusiast, a feminist and all these other things.

You can have a god-damned opinion in America, and that is your right.

But you have to remember that that goes both ways, both for you and the people you hate, and that is the beauty of America.

Just because someone is your party’s candidate and just because you hate the opposing party and all it stands for, does not mean that you have to defend your party's candidate’s statements or actions.

Trump might be honest, but we do not need to defend him. He has his right to say what he wants, but we do not need to endorse him.

Because he is what is wrong with America, using people’s fears and oppressing groups of people to separate Americans and gain power.

Is Hillary any better? Not really. And we don’t have to defend any of the statements she made either.

Have some common sense and defend your own opinion, not the terrible candidates we have this election.

You can go out and vote. Maybe for someone you do not align with, or maybe just to support your party. Or you can choose not to vote at all.

But you do not have to defend them, and you sure as hell do not have to be satisfied with them.