Vote Nov. 6 Virginia

As a student-run news organization, the Collegiate Times recognizes that politics will always be central to the work we do. Politics can influence every aspect of your life from what you’re taught in classes and discussions you have with friends and family, to how you pay off student debt. From opinion columns, to town hall coverage, to interviews with candidates, we are dedicated to providing readers with well-rounded and informative coverage of elections and the candidates involved.

Despite the importance of elections, less than 50 percent of students turn out to vote annually, according to Inside Higher Ed. While the number of college students who turned out is on the rise, from 45.1 percent in 2012 to 48.3 percent in 2016, this still means that the majority of college students aren’t fulfilling their civic duty.

The Collegiate Times’ goal is neither to take a side nor endorse candidates, but to help our readers make informed decisions about their voting choices and prompt productive political discussion. We do this by providing coverage of candidates from the national level with races for Senate and the House of Representatives to local elections like Town Council. We firmly believe that all levels of government can influence students’ lives.

In this special issue of the Collegiate Times, you will find interviews with senatorial candidates Tim Kaine, Corey Stewart and Matt Waters, House of Representatives candidates Anthony Flaccavento and Morgan Griffith, and Town Council candidate Jerry Ford Jr. There are also pieces highlighting how a professor recommends looking at the election and how student leaders plan to vote in the upcoming midterm elections. Additionally, this issue will feature opinion pieces covering a range of topics including voter suppression and election finance, among others.

Your vote matters. Make sure your voice is heard on Nov. 6. Blacksburg Transit will be fare-free on Election Day. For more information, visit www.ridebt.org or call 540-443-1500. Additionally, you can find your polling location at www.elections.virginia.gov. If you are voting absentee, send your ballot as soon as possible — you can find a stamp and envelope at the post office on Main Street South.

Get to know your candidates in our Vote Virginia special section, read the opinions of your peers on various issues and cast your vote on Nov. 6.