Smith Career Center

The Smith Career Center, located at 870 Washington St., June 12, 2017.

A visit to Virginia Tech’s Career and Professional Development Services, conveniently located in the Smith Career Center at the Blacksburg campus, opens the door to endless opportunity for highly motivated students. The office assists university students of all walks of life, from college freshmen to graduate students. No matter where you stand in your academic career, the friendly staff at the Smith Career Center is more than willing to help you find a sense of direction.

The office offers a plethora of exclusive career development and employment programs for interested parties, ranging from the Hokies4Hire and On-Campus Interviewing program to premium access to job search sites such as CareerShift and GoinGlobal. Career and Professional Development also offers Virginia Tech-affiliated fairs throughout the course of the academic year, welcoming employers of all career fields to attend.

Perhaps one of the most unique assets of Career and Professional Services is its Peer Career Advisors program. These advisers are specifically trained to provide career advice to fellow students, offering walk-in hours for students seeking their services. Career and Professional Services also offers interested students the opportunity to be involved in the development of key decisions within the department by joining the Student Advisory board. Members of the board are required to attend an array of meetings throughout the year, all of which provide a platform for students to meet new people.

The department also offers two convenient advising options for students: 10 minute walk-in advising and 30 minute appointments planned in advance either in person, by phone or via Skype. During this time, students are welcome to discuss how they can develop professionalism skills and courtesy, how to secure post-graduation employment, as well as advice for applying to graduate school or professional programs. The attentive staff never ceases to provide insight on how students can best capitalize on their strengths, crafting an individualized plan on the basis of a student’s personal career aspirations.

Additionally, the Career Center also sponsors an annual event called Career Outfitters, which allows students to select new or gently used professional attire entirely free of charge. The event aims to ensure that all students are given equal opportunity to attend career-planning events and recruitment opportunities. For those who wish to donate to this wonderful effort, the Career Center typically holds two clothing drives each year: one for spring attire as well as one for fall.

If you find yourself lost in the abyss that is college, uncertain of where your career path leads next, consider stopping by the Smith Career Center in Blacksburg! If you have any questions regarding the Career and Professional Development Services, please call the Career Center at 540-231-6241 or visit them online at www.career.vt.edu. You are bound to leave with a plan to navigate your future and a team of people who are willing to help you along your journey.

Read all of Tech Fundamentals here.