Puzzlr

Located at 700 N. Main St., Puzzlr specializes in various escape rooms to challenge students and New River Valley residents. 

Attending Virginia Tech doesn’t mean your fun is limited to on-campus activities. The surrounding area is filled with things to do whether you are walking or driving. 

Always be sure to check online sites such as Facebook for upcoming festivals or markets that occur during the year downtown. Main Street is pedestrian-friendly and is occasionally roped off for outdoor events. The International Street Fair and biweekly farmers markets are just a couple ideas for downtime at school.

The farmers market occurs on Wednesdays from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

According to Step Into Blacksburg, “more than 40 vendors within 50 miles of Blacksburg bring their wares.”

In addition, the Lyric Theatre is a very short walk from campus, showing movies to students and residents. Be sure to check its site’s calendar for upcoming show times and live events.

Although there is an abundance of restaurants and food service, there are stores located throughout Blacksburg for shopping. If you are looking for some Tech gear, stop by Campus Emporium on North Main Street. If you want something fancier and trendier, 310 Rosemont is also located on North Main Street. And for those themed parties, Goodwill thrift store and the YMCA are a short bus ride on the North Main bus.

Make sure to grab a bunch of friends and try out the escape rooms in Blacksburg as well. Puzzlr is located on North Main Street and Blacksburg Escape is located on East Roanoke Street. Both locations are in walking distance from campus.

Nightlife in Blacksburg is full of special events on different nights.

According to Step into Blacksburg, the restaurant 622 North has numerous events at Frank's, a full-service bar on the first floor. Frank's hosts live music and reggae shows in addition to activities such as pool tables, video games and dart lanes.

Frank Theatres CineBowl & Grille is located on South Main Street. There you will find a plethora of activities to do with your friends. You can see a movie, bowl or enjoy the second-floor arcade.

If you are looking to take a step away from indoor activities, during the warmer months there are several parks and trails open to the public. Tom’s Creek Park features a softball field, picnic tables and benches, swings and more. Municipal Park, located on Turner Street, is a 23-acre park with soccer fields, a roller hockey court, a skate park, shelters and gazebos.

The Cascades National Recreation Trail is a popular activity among Virginia Tech students, which includes the sight of a 66-foot waterfall. Additionally, Pandapas Pond in Jefferson National Forest is a man-made body of water that features canoeing and fishing. Of course, both of these locations require driving to.

There are also three golf courses in Blacksburg, one being the Virginia Tech Golf Course on Duck Pond Drive. The other two are the Blacksburg Municipal Golf Course and the Blacksburg Country Club, both of which involve driving.

New River Junction is a perfect activity to do in the first couple weeks at VT. Located on Big Falls Road, Big Falls Park features tubing, fishing and live music. You can even camp there too.

There is more that goes in Blacksburg than meets the eye. Ask around and learn for yourself. Off-campus activities don’t just have to be eating and drinking, there is plenty of fun going on every week.

Read all of Tech Fundamentals here.

Gretchen is a junior student majoring in multimedia journalism and double minoring in creative writing and popular culture.