Cassell

Ahmed Hill (13) warms up with a between-the-legs dunk in Cassell Coliseum before taking on 25th-ranked Miami, Feb. 27, 2017.

Cassell Coliseum is a landmark at Virginia Tech. You can’t miss it when driving down Washington Street. The building, home to the Hokies’ basketball teams, has a unique shape that distinguishes itself from all other structures on campus. With 10 legs sticking out of each side, Cassell Coliseum is the go-to during the cold of winter in order to avoid finals and schoolwork.

The coliseum was completed in December of 1964, but the first game took place in 1962, against Alabama. The Hokies won the inaugural game, 91–67. According to the official Virginia Tech website, Cassell Coliseum is an arena with a capacity of 10,052, and a square footage nearing 230,000. Both the men’s and women’s locker rooms are located under the arena, as well as an auxiliary gym and a weight room.

Some cool news for the incoming freshmen is that you’ll all get to experience the brand new seating in the student section and around the lower sections. Up until this year, Cassell was filled entirely with wooden seats that were a bit uncomfortable after a while. Luckily, this summer, the athletics department installed new padded maroon seats to improve the fan experience at games.

You’ll find yourself in Cassell at least once next year, as both the men’s and women’s hoop teams have both recently become tournament ready. Last year, the men’s team, led by head coach Buzz Williams, was eliminated in the first round of the NCAA Tournament by Wisconsin. The women played in the NIT Tournament and lost in the Elite Eight to Michigan.

Every year when the likes of Duke, North Carolina, Louisville and Virginia come to town, you’re sure to get a crazy crowd in Cassell. The student section, which takes up one end of the arena, is led by the Cassell Guard, a student-run fan organization on campus. They’re essentially the student section hype squad.

During the school year, students will receive an email about season tickets for men’s basketball. If you’re not able to purchase tickets, there is a lottery for every single home game. The lottery is completely random, but if you win and don’t attend the game more than three times, you’ll be banned from the lottery for the remainder of the season.

Read all of Tech Fundamentals here.

Sports Editor

Jordan Hutchinson has covered Virginia Tech athletics for the Collegiate Times since 2016.