Inside Welcome Back 2017

It’s no secret that there will be over 7,000 new freshmen at Virginia Tech this year (the biggest class so far). I mean, after all, we were once all first-year students roaming around West End and trekking across the Drillfield in the blistering cold. However, even though everyone has been t…

My part-time job as a naturalist this past summer involved caring for a multitude of critters, from rabbits to snakes to birds. Scrubbing poop out of their cages each day helped me to rethink my desire to adopt a pet before I graduate.

Arcade Fire, Jay-Z, Tyler, The Creator and Lana Del Rey are just a handful of the artists whose new records ruled the summer of 2017. Though some of these releases have been deemed landmarks (Lorde’s “Melodrama”) and others just plain cringeworthy (Katy Perry’s “Witness”), they’ve all made t…

Maybe you used your summer vacation to relax with a nonalcoholic drink in your hand on a warm sunny beach. But back in Blacksburg, construction workers did not have that luxury. While you were sipping pina coladas and getting caught in the rain, they were working on major renovations across …

The proliferation of news outlets has amplified political rhetoric, and the rising global population has increased the receptive audience for — and participants in — political debate. This sweeping change in how information is distributed and consumed has led many to believe that we are livi…

It’s a fact: The average annual global temperature has risen by about 1.5 degrees in the last 100 years, the amount of land affected by drought has doubled in the last 30 years and this past decade has been the hottest in human history. But why is this happening, what does it mean for climat…

Contrary to its large student body, Virginia Tech maintains a close-knit campus community. This expression has been repeated by campus tour guides to potential students exploring the university. As Virginia Tech welcomes 7,075 incoming freshmen,students, faculty members, alumni and Blacksbur…

The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team has high aspirations heading into 2017, after finishing 11–5–3 last season. Let’s take a look at the four key players for the Hokies in 2017, as well as their leader, head coach Charles Adair.

The Virginia Tech men’s soccer team had its best season in several years in 2016, and made the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2007.

It’s been a long offseason, but football is finally upon us. Last year, the Hokies surprised many by putting together their first 10-win season since 2011. After a stellar debut campaign for head coach Justin Fuente, the expectations have been raised for the program.

Summer ball is a time of digging deeper into the type of player you are. Coming off of a full college season, players travel to different ends of the country to continue their playing days. For some it’s a final opportunity to play summer ball, while others get the extra exposure they need t…