Virginia Tech Men’s Tennis Halloween Clash, Oct. 29, 2021

Virginia Tech player Hugo Maia returns the ball to his opponent, Oct. 29, 2021.

Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams competed in tournaments this past weekend. 

The women’s team had a challenging tournament at the Alabama Roberta Alison Fall Classic where eight Hokies travelled to play. Annie Clark, Chhinda Som, Charlotte Cartledge, Katie Andreini, Rita Pinto, Elizabet Danailova, Sophie Mitchell and Michaela Hegarty played in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. In Elon, North Carolina, for the Elon Fall Invitational, Semra Aksu, Erika Cheng, Dariya Radulova, Sabina Richtrova, Kirsten Husted and Lily Hackbirth played.

On day one in Alabama, which was doubles matches only, Clark and Som as a doubles team won two matches 6–4 and 6–3. Andreini and Cartledge won a match 6–4 and Danailova and Pinto won a match 7–5.

On day two in Alabama, which was singles matches only, Clark won her match impressively in a tiebreaker 7–5, 6–7(2), 10–8. Cartledge also won her match in a tiebreaker 6–1, 2–6, 10–8. Lastly for the Hokies, Andreini won her match in straight sets 6–2, 6–3. 

On day one in North Carolina, Radulova and Richtrova won their match 8–3 as a doubles team. Aksu and Cheng also won as a doubles team in one of their matches 8–5. For singles, Erika Cheng won her match in straight sets 6–1, 6–2. Dariya Radulova also secured a singles day one win due to her opponent being injured. 

On day two in North Carolina for doubles, Husted and Hackbirth won due to their opponent having an injury. Aksu and Cheng also won their match 8–2, and Radulova and Richtrova won one of their matches with an undocumented score. For singles, the Hokies accumulated seven wins. Aksu, Richtrova and Husted each won two matches, and Cheng won one match.. 

The Alabama Roberta Alison Fall Classic and Elon’s fall tournament conclude the fall season for the women’s tennis team.

The men’s team hosted the Halloween Clash tournament over the course of three days. Ryan Fishback, Alvaro Saez-Royuela Ariza, Hugo Maia, Michael Shepheard, Scott Sculley, Alex Ix, Frank Thompson, Matt Harper and Ryan Bernstine all competed in the tournament. 

On day one, for singles, Maia won his match, only dropping one game 6–1, 6–0. Shepheard won his match 6–1, 6–3. Ix won his match 6–3, 7–5. Thompson won his match 6–2, 6–3. Harper won his match 6–3, 2–6, 7–6(5). Finally, Bernstine won his match, only dropping one game 6–1, 6–0. For doubles, Saez-Royuela Ariza and Maia won their doubles match as a team 6–4. Impressively, Harper and Ix won their doubles match 6–0 without dropping a game. 

On day two for singles, Ix won his match 6–3, 6–0. Harper won his match 2–6, 6–2, 6–3. Bernstine won his match in a battle of 4–6, 6–1, 7–6(5). Fishback won his match 7–5, 6–4. Maia won his match in singles 6–4, 6–4. Harper won his match 6–7(4), 6–4, 6–1. Finally, Bernstine won his match 6–3, 6–4. For doubles, Thompson and Harper as a team won their match 6–4. Ix and Bernstine won their match only dropping one game 6–1. Fishback and Shepheard, and Harper and Bernstine all won their matches 6–3. Thompson and Ix won their match 7–6(8). 

For the final day of the tournament, every Hokie won their match in singles. For doubles, Thompson and Maia were the only team to secure a win with a score of 6–2. This tournament concludes the fall season for the Hokies.