VT MBB vs. Delaware State

Nahiem Alleyne (4) jumps above Delaware State's defense to make a shot, Nov. 21, 2019.

We had a shakeup at the top this week. Other than that teams just cemented their status for the season.

The championship hopefuls

Louisville

1-0 last week

Louisville stays at the top of the conference and now the top of the country this week as other pedigree schools took a tumble. The Cardinals’ consistency on both ends of the floor keeps them at the top like no other. They’ll face their first big test of the season Tuesday against Michigan.

This week: vs. Michigan, vs. Pitt

UVA (+2)

1-0 last week

Still with no offense, this is a weird team to watch, but they’re winning. The Cavaliers are making their case as contenders as the last undefeated team in the conference besides Louisville.

This week: at Purdue, vs. UNC

Still figuring it out

Duke (-1)

2-0 last week

Duke’s defense is bad. We knew this could happen due to all the youth, but they can’t stop anybody, not even Stephen F. Austin.

This week: at Michigan State, at Virginia Tech

UNC (-1)

1-1 last week

The Michigan game was not as close as the final score showed. The Tar Heels were 2-for-13 from the 3-point line and 10-for-20 from the free throw line. That’s not a winning formula, and guard Cole Anthony’s inefficiency is rubbing off on the rest of the team.

This week: vs. Ohio State, at UVA

Good, not great

Notre Dame

2-0 last week

The Fairleigh Dickinson game was a great example of the levels this offense can reach. It was a complete team effort in which six players scored in double digits.

This week: at Maryland, vs. Boston College

Syracuse

0-2 last week

Well, that defense fell apart fast. The Orange is still one of the better teams in the ACC, but it will have to get back to its roots to find success. However, losses to two very good teams is nothing to be ashamed of.

This week: vs. Iowa, at Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech

1-0 last week

Physicality, physicality, physicality –– that is the way the Yellow Jackets win. They did it again on Sunday with nine blocks against Bethune-Cookman. Guard Michael Devoe has stepped up this season, and is starring for what looks to be a really good team.

This week: vs. Nebraska, vs. Syracuse

Pittsburgh

1-0 last week

The Panthers’ defense showed up again this weekend. They are for real. It doesn’t hurt that guard Justin Champagnie seems to be stepping up at just the right time.

This week: vs. Rutgers, at Louisville

Florida State

2-0 last week

Two good wins in a row never hurts, and that’s just what the Seminoles did this week. The defense is still really great. If they can continue to do their job and possibly beat Louisville at the beginning of January, they may become one of the top teams in the conference.

This week: at Indiana, vs. Clemson

Teams with real upside

Miami (+2)

1-0 this week

As soon as you give up on the Hurricanes, guard Chris Lykes drops 28 and they pull out a win. They could turn this around quickly if this continues. They need to win the rest of their games in December, though.

This week: N/A

N.C. State

1-0 last week

For the second time this season, the Wolfpack didn’t score at least 80 points, and it took a loss. This defense is not good at all. It doesn’t matter if it has one of the most exciting offenses in the country; it won’t be able to stop anyone.

This week: vs. Wisconsin, at Wake Forest

Virginia Tech

0-2 last week

The Hokies defense fell apart this week after being pretty good all season. They just got outsized and outmatched this week. The blowout loss to BYU was completely unexpected.

This week: vs. Duke

The bad teams

Clemson

0-2 last week

Clemson has a really long season ahead of them. The blowout loss to Minnesota proved that. The Tigers do nothing that well, and don’t really have any upside. They might be better in the future, but ACC play is not going to be fun for them.

This week: at FSU

Wake Forest

2-1 last week

Brandon Childress won’t let this team go down without a fight, and that matters. This team may not be the most talented, but they are scrappy. They fought hard in a really tough matchup against Arizona.

This week: at Penn State, vs. N.C. State

Boston College (-2)

0-2 last week

It is the worst team in the ACC –– no doubt about it.

This week: vs. Northwestern, at Notre Dame