Duke vs Virginia Tech Men's Basketball

Virginia Tech Hokies' Nickeil Alexander-Walker (4) celebrates following a foul against the Duke Blue Devils in a 77-72 upset victory over the No. 3 team at Cassell Coliseum, Feb. 26, 2019.

Sophomore guard Nickeil Alexander-Walker announced his decision to forgo his final two years of college to hire an agent and enter the NBA Draft according to a post Alexander-Walker made on Twitter Sunday evening.

Alexander-Walker was Tech’s leading scorer this year with 16.6 points per game while shooting 47.4% from the field. Alexander-Walker’s 12 20-point games this year were also the best on the team as he showed massive improvements from his freshman year as he became a primary scoring option for the team.

Coming to Virginia Tech from Toronto, Canada, Alexander-Walker was arguably Buzz Williams’ most prized recruit in his tenure as head coach. ESPN rated Alexander-Walker as a five-star recruit and as third-best shooting guard in the country. Alexander-Walker certainly lived up to the billing this season, earning Third Team All-ACC accolades on his way to helping the team go to the Sweet 16.

Alexander-Walker is expected by many draft pundits to be a first-round draft pick, with Sports Illustrated’s Jeremy Woo rating him as the No. 22 prospect on his NBA Draft Big Board.

Assistant Sports Editor

Robby Fletcher is a Junior Multimedia Journalism major with interests in sports, food, big words and movies. He really wants you to read his work.