Letter: Krabbendam speaks - Collegiate Times : Sports

|
||

Letter: Krabbendam speaks

Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:00 am

Editor's note: The following is a letter to the editor from former men's basketball player Robert Krabbendam explaining his reasons for leaving the team. The views expressed in this letter do not reflect the views of the Collegiate Times. The Collegiate Times stands behind their story printed on April 10 about his departure.

I would like to give my reaction to the announcement in the Collegiate Times about me leaving.

First off I would like to thank the great Blacksburg community and Virginia Tech basketball fans for the unforgettable experiences I have had the past three years.

I do not know what the sources were for "Krabbendam leaves Hokies, returns to The Netherlands" (CT, April 10) but much of it is incorrect. I would like to comment on a few things.

I experienced one major injury during my sophomore year, which led me to the decision to use a medical redshirt. However, this year I was healthy and ready to play. For the first four games of the season I played with a foot injury caused by the new shoes. As far as the 7.4 minutes average per game: if you look at the total minutes played during the season this adds up to 185 minutes. Out of this total, 67 minutes were in the first four games of the season and 118 minutes were played in the 28 games that followed. One hundred eighteen minutes in 28 games leads to an average of 4.2 minutes per game, often in spurts of two minutes at a time. Now that I think about it, I might actually have broken one school record because against University of Virginia, I played for a total of 1.9 seconds in the first half, only not to play at all during the second half.

My qualities have not been used in games and I have always felt like I never truly got the chance to play to my strengths (and doing so helps the team win more games) within our system.

It is on the coaches to see the potential and make it great. If you as an athlete see that you will not get the chance to be successful in a certain program, you need to make a move and go play somewhere you will get that chance. Other factors that are very important in a healthy organization where you want to improve your game are open and clear communication and honesty. If you always work hard and keep a professional attitude yourself, but none of the important factors mentioned above are present, you need to make a move if you want to reach your goals and fulfill your dreams.

This is why I decided to leave Virginia Tech and go elsewhere to play. I wish my teammates the best of luck in their athletic careers. Once again, going to school here has been a pleasure and my thanks go out to the community. I wish everyone the very best.

Robert Krabbendam

Junior, Psychology

6 comments:

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 10:25 pm on Tue, Nov 11, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1073

They should rename Burruss Hall to Krabbendam's Palace.

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 5:52 pm on Wed, Nov 5, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1073

Krabbendam's nickname with coaches in the ACC was "Hokie Stone" because once he got position in the paint, you couldn't move him. Dude was a beast!

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 4:48 pm on Wed, Nov 5, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1073

If Krabbendam played center for the football team and Jake Grove played center for the basketball team, I don't think either misses a beat. #GoHokies

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 4:13 pm on Wed, Nov 5, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1073

If the 2007 Hokies hoops team was the cast of Laguna Beach, Krabbendam would be Talan. Seems like a nice guy, but borderline useless.

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 4:09 pm on Wed, Nov 5, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1073

Dell Curry, Bimbo Coles, Ace Custis and the Dunking Dutchmen: The Mount Rushmore of Virginia Tech Basketball!

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 4:04 pm on Wed, Nov 5, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1073

Dunking Dutchman!!!! One of the all time great VT hoopers!