Baseball vs VMI

Outfielder Dalton Harum connects on a pitch, April 2, 2019. 

After a weekend of baseball at English Field, Virginia Tech (17–12) traveled up the road to Virginia Military Institute (6–23) for its first of 14 road games this month. Virginia Tech has secured more wins against VMI than any other school, with 129 wins under its belt. But the last time the Hokies took on the Keydets in Lexington, which was during the 2018 season, it resulted in a heartbreaking 7–9 loss.

This trip to Lexington was a different story for the Hokies. Virginia Tech looked strong and dominated VMI, 13–1, snapping its six-game losing streak.

Minimal hitters resulted in a quick runless first two innings for both teams. The Hokies opened up scoring in the third inning with a run from Nick Owens off of a double hit by Nick Holesa. Then, with the bases loaded and two outs, freshman Nick Biddison homed to left field to bat himself and three other Hokes in, giving Tech 5–0 control over VMI. In the bottom of the third inning, Virginia Tech pitcher Luke Scherzer struck out VMI’s first two batters, walked the third, allowed the fourth to single and struck out VMI’s fifth batter for a quick end to the inning.

Dalton Harum opened up the fourth inning with a solo home run to increase Virginia Tech’s lead to six. But, three consecutive outs stopped the Hokies’ scoring there. Cody Warner was able to run the bases and score a run for VMI to put the Keydets on the board.

The Hokies then had another big inning, scoring four runs in the fifth. Kevin Madden scored a homerun on a hit to left field and also batted in two other Hokies. After, Harum hit another home run for his second of the game and Virginia Tech’s 10th run of the game. Kerry Carpenter was batted in by Biddison in the sixth inning to add one more run onto Tech’s score. VMI went scoreless through the fifth and sixth innings and found itself in a 10-run hole.

During the ninth inning, Harum homed for a third time and batted in Madden to make the win margin 12 runs.

VMI was only able to convert seven hits into one run while Virginia Tech turned 12 hits into 13 runs. The Hokies came away with zero errors, an improvement from recent games.

On April 5, the team will travel to Wake Forest (15–14) for the weekend for its three-game series against the Deacons, trying to pick up more ACC wins.