With this being the last football game some of these seniors play, Tré Turner and the crew knew finishing the game with a victory was the only option. With the help of a career game from Braxton Burmeister and a stingy defense, Virginia Tech (5–5, 3–3 ACC) stomped Duke (3–7,0–6 ACC). Everything was going right in the Hokies’ 48–17 victory.

The Hokies began the game with a spectacular third-down catch by senior Turner that yielded 29 yards. However, they failed to come away with any points despite the good field position.

The Blue Devils attempted to follow Syracuse’s winning formula early in the game. After beginning the game using their quarterback in the run game and utilizing running back Mataeo Durant in open space, they connected on a trick play for 33 yards. Despite the big plays, they failed to come away with any points as Duke kicker, Charlie Ham, failed to connect on a 39-yard field goal. 

The Virginia Tech offense continued to look explosive with multiple 20-yard plays, including a Raheem Blackshear run that put the Hokies on the board with roughly six minutes remaining in the first quarter and a 47-yard touchdown pass to Keshawn King. Despite a Burmeister injury, Knox Kadum and the Hokie offense didn’t miss a beat, finishing the drive with a 51-yard field goal. They finished the first half with over 374 yards of total offense, their highest mark since 2018.

Blackshear continued to have his way in the first half and throughout the game. He jogged to the locker room with 157 all-purpose yards, including 83 rushing yards in the first quarter.  

The Hokies were also dominant on the other side of the ball. The front seven limited Duke standout Durant to 28 yards on the ground in the first half and a mere 33 for the game. Despite a costly interception by Burmeister, the Hokie defense stood its ground in the red zone, limiting Duke to just three on the drive and the rest of the half.

In the second half, Burmeister continued to create big plays both on the ground and in the air, including a 30-yard touchdown pass to Kaleb Smith, his first of the season, and a 13-yard touchdown pass to Blackshear. Despite a 75-yard drive that concluded with a 28-yard touchdown pass from Jordan Moore with roughly two and a half minutes left in the third, this game was never competitive. The defensive score by TyJuan Garbutt ultimately summed up the game for the Blue Devils.

With this win, the Hokies still remain in bowl game contention. The Hokie offense will have to prove their 575-yard performance wasn’t a fluke against a 5–5 Miami team that has won three of their last four. A loss would make the Commonwealth Cup rivalry game against Virginia a must-win.