Virginia Tech vs North Carolina

Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster looks on as the Hokies defense attempts to hold the Tar Heels, Kenan Memorial Stadium, Oct. 13, 2018.

Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster announced his retirement plans Thursday in a press conference with head coach Justin Fuente. Foster will conclude his 33-year coaching career at Virginia Tech following the upcoming 2019 season.

Foster is expected to continue his career with Virginia Tech as an ambassador to the athletics program.

Foster implemented the famous “Lunch Pail” defense and established Virginia Tech as a powerhouse defensive team. Since Foster became defensive coordinator in 1996, over 40 Virginia Tech defensive players were drafted into the NFL.

In the 1999 season, Foster helped lead the Hokies to the national championship game and was named defensive coordinator of the year. In his time in Blacksburg since then, he has built a culture of defense, hard work and blue-collar mentality among the Tech football program.

Three seasons after the retirement of former head coach Frank Beamer, the Hokies now fully move on from the Beamer era and continue on with head coach Justin Fuente and his staff.

The Hokies begin the season Aug. 31 in Massachusetts against Boston College. Foster’s final home game as defensive coordinator will be Nov. 23 against Pittsburgh.