VT vs. Notre Dame

Head coach Buzz Williams watches intently during the men's basketball game against Notre Dame, Jan. 1, 2019.

After months of speculation, Virginia Tech’s Director of Athletics Whit Babcock confirmed on Wednesday that men’s basketball head coach Buzz Williams will be departing for the same position at Texas A&M.

"Coach Williams made a very positive impact on the culture of our basketball program at Virginia Tech," Babcock said. "We appreciate all that Buzz and his staff did for our students and our program.”

Williams, a Texas native, coached the Hokies to three NCAA Tournament appearances in five seasons and most recently led Tech to its first Sweet 16 since 1967. Virginia Tech has finished the last four seasons with 20 or more wins and a top seven or better regular season seeding in the ACC.

"Thanks to our talented student-athletes, Coach Williams and his staff, Virginia Tech is now one of the most attractive jobs in the nation's top basketball conference, the ACC," Babcock continued in a press release. "I'm extremely confident that we'll be able to identify and hire a new head coach who can further build on the success our men's basketball program has achieved in recent years.”

Williams departs Blacksburg as one of the most highly regarded coaches in school history. His complete turnaround of a struggling program in such a short period of time cements his legacy at Virginia Tech. The 46-year-old finished his Virginia Tech career with an overall record of 100–69 and an ACC record of 44–46.

Williams will now coach in the SEC with some of the sport’s biggest coaching names such as John Calipari, Bruce Pearl and Rick Barnes. After building success at Marquette and proving himself in the ACC with Virginia Tech, the ceiling is high for Williams at Texas A&M.

The Aggies were rumored to only have Williams on their list of potential hires after moving on from former head coach Billy Kennedy. Texas A&M has had one NCAA Tournament appearance and one 20-win season in the last three years under Kennedy.

The Hokies will begin next season without key seniors Justin Robinson, Ahmed Hill and Ty Outlaw, while Nickeil Alexander-Walker is expected to enter the NBA Draft this offseason.

The Virginia Tech basketball program will now transition into searching for a new head coach and continuing on the successful foundation established by Williams in his time at the University.

Sports staff writer; @CTSportsTalk

Multimedia Journalism Major, Class of 2020.