Cassell Coliseum

Cassell Coliseum, where Virginia Tech home basketball games take place, June 20, 2017. 

Virginia Tech got its first recruit of the 2020 class as shooting guard Joe Bamisile announced on Twitter his decision to flip his commitment from Northwestern to Virginia Tech.

Bamisile, who plays at Monacan High in Richmond, Virginia, is ranked No. 62 overall in the 2020 recruiting class according to 247Sports and No. 13 among shooting guards.

The 6-foot-5 guard dominated in his junior year of high school basketball, averaging 28.7 points, seven rebounds and 1.8 assists per game in 23 contests. Bamisile also received scholarship offers from 14 schools, including VCU, Florida, Miami and West Virginia. He initially committed to Northwestern on April 17.

Bamisile has surged through recruit rankings over the last few months and has put himself in the national spotlight thanks to some eye-opening highlight videos displaying his ability to strongly finish around the rim as well as shoot from the perimeter.

Bamisile rose 115 spots in 247Sports’ composite player rankings in June, and later rose 46 more spots in July. With another year of high school basketball to be played, there’s a chance for Bamisile’s star to shine even brighter as he continues to develop.

Bamisile is coach Young’s fifth recruit since he took the job at Virginia Tech, and his second four-star recruit. Young has been hot on the recruiting trail so far as he has steadily built up a promising team of young athletes in the wake of Buzz Williams’ departure.

Sports Editor

Robby Fletcher is a Junior Multimedia Journalism major with interests in sports, food, big words and movies. He really wants you to read his work.