Grimes leaves for LSU - Collegiate Times : Sports

|
||

Grimes leaves for LSU

Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:06 pm | Updated: 1:16 pm, Thu Jan 16, 2014.

After just one season, Virginia Tech offensive line coach Jeff Grimes is leaving to take the same job at LSU according to multiple reports first announced by Mike Barber of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Grimes was hired last January along with offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler and wide receivers coach Aaron Moorehead as part of a revamping of the Hokies offensive staff.

In his one season as a Virginia Tech assistant coach Grimes brought some stability to a unit that had been riddled with inconsistency in recent seasons.

The Hokies have five verbal commits from offensive lineman in their 2014 recruiting class: Billy Ray Mitchell, Colt Pettit, Tyrell Smith, Brady Taylor and Eric Gallo. Grimes was the lead recruiter for all five.

Grimes was the first assistant under Frank Beamer since Gary Tranquill in 1994 to hold a position for just one year.

There are no reports as to whom the Hokies will be targeting as a replacement for Grimes as of this time.