VT vs. UNC

Virginia Tech's Robert Porcher IV (98) and Jordan Stout (92) celebrate after a 22–19 win at Kenan Memorial Stadium, Oct. 13, 2018.

Virginia Tech redshirt sophomore Robert Porcher IV will be entering the transfer portal. The news was first reported by Andy Bitter on Twitter. Porcher, a defensive tackle, hasn’t seen much playing time in the last two years with the Hokies.

Porcher was a three-star recruit coming out of Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando, Florida. After being redshirted his freshman year, Porcher appeared in seven games in 2018. He recorded 13 total tackles and one sack. This season, Porcher has seen less playing time and has appeared in two games to this point. He has three tackles and a sack. Porcher has made the most of his limited opportunities with Virginia Tech.

Depth at defensive tackle has been the main factor in Porcher’s lack of playing time. He is third on the depth chart behind junior DaShawn Crawford and freshman Norell Pollard.

Multiple sources including Norm Wood stated that Porcher is frustrated with his lack of playing time and that he could get more playing opportunities elsewhere. Wood also stated that Porcher could be looking to play at a lower-profile school.

The Hokies could have some depth issues with Porcher transferring. If Crawford and Pollard suffer any injuries, then Tech could be in some serious trouble replacing them with Porcher out of the picture.

Porcher is the 14th Hokie to enter the transfer portal in 2019. He is not locked down to transfer and has the option to return to Blacksburg.

For now, this appears to be a move that the transfer portal was designed to accommodate: a player unsatisfied with playing time who wants a chance to take his talents and showcase them elsewhere.