Msoc vs Duke

Courtesy of HokieSports

Despite the play from Martino, the Duke defensive game plan was too stout for Virginia Tech’s offense. 

The Blue Devils outshot the Hokies 19–11 (9–5 shots on goal), created more corner kick opportunities and committed four more fouls than Virginia Tech. 

Jacob Labovitz, Pol Monells, Danny Flores and Kyle McDowell were the only Virginia Tech starters to record a shot on goal, while substitute midfielder Andrew Weber was the only one of five Hokie substitutes to put a shot in the net. 

Next Friday, Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia will look to avoid starting ACC play 0–2 as the rival Cavaliers (2–2, 0–1 ACC) will be at Thompson Field in BlacksburgThe No. 6 Virginia Tech men’s soccer team (2–1–2, 0–1 ACC) lost their first contest of the season 1–0 after a stifling performance from the No. 19 Duke Blue Devils’ (4–1, 1–0 ACC) defense. 

Duke forward Thorleifur Ulfarsson delivered the game-deciding score in the 35th minute, putting a penalty kick into the back of the net after a yellow card inside the box by Hokie defenseman Sivert Haugli. 

The Hokies were able to keep it close in the first half despite the penalty, as both teams had three shots on goal in the first 45 minutes of play. 

Goalkeeper Ben Martino came up huge for Virginia Tech in the second half to keep the game within one score. Martino tallied eight saves on the night, the most he’s had in a game all season.