Virginia Tech Men's Soccer vs. Boston College

Marc Hoppler (17) attempts to prevent Boston College's Alejandro Zimmermann (20) from taking a shot, Sept. 27 2019

With under 30 seconds left, Virginia Tech men’s soccer thought it could put this game in the win column. However, Boston College had one last chance as the ball made its way to the Eagles’ goalkeeper Christian Garner. He desperately booted the ball as far as he could down the field; it fell to a Boston College player who dribbled to just outside the 18 yard-box and was fouled. 

Boston College scored off the ensuing free kick from Joe Kellett. He snuck it just past Hokies’ goalkeeper Mathijs Swaneveld to tie the game at two a piece with nine seconds left in regulation. 

Virginia Tech, ranked no. 18 in the country, controlled the match for most of the first half. Junior Kristo Strickler caused havoc with his speed, drawing many fouls that lead to some good chances.

The player that stood out the most was midfielder Daniel Pereira. The freshman from Roanoke, Virginia, was electric during the entire match with the ball at his feet. He put his name on the score sheet with the first goal of the match in the 25th minute. It was a great one-two play by Strickler and Pereira, who slotted it near the post against Garner for his second goal of the season. 

A dramatic end to the first half occured when Boston College freshman defender Alejandro Zimmermann received a red card for dangerous play. The Eagles played with 10 men for the final 59 minutes. 

However, they did not let the red card have an impact on their performance; the Eagles got a goal of their own from Lasse Lehmann off a corner kick to start the second half. With the match tied at 1–1, the Hokies turned up the offensive chances after the Boston College goal with Pereira and Strickler having a few good shots on goal. 

They would gain the lead back in the middle of the second half off the foot of senior Marc Hoppler. The assist went to sophomore Chris Little with a great pass to Hoppler from the left wing. 

From this point in the game the Hokies played stellar defense, particularly on the flanks, not allowing crosses in the box. However, they took their foot off the gas on offense a little too much and paid the price with the last gasp goal from the Eagles. 

In overtime, there were some tense moments. Corner kicks made the fans go silent to see if the Hokies could get the lead back. Shots were taken, but none of them were on frame which resulted in the draw. After the hard-fought tie, the Hokies are now at 5-2-1 on the season and 0-2-1 in ACC play.