Virginia Tech vs Florida State (Football) - Eric Kumah

Virginia Tech Hokies' Eric Kumah (83) pushes off a Florida State University defender as he cruises to the end zone for a Hokie score in the fourth quarter, Sept. 3, 2018.

Starting wide receiver Eric Kumah has pursued a graduate transfer out of Virginia Tech and will play his final season of eligibility at Old Dominion University after visiting in late March. Kumah signed to play for Virginia Tech in 2016 and was part of head coach Justin Fuente’s first recruiting class at Tech.

Kumah entered the NCAA transfer portal on Jan. 23, shortly after receivers coach Holmon Wiggins took the same position at Alabama; Kumah alleged that the departure of Wiggins was a big factor in his decision to transfer.

During the 2018 season, Kumah was Virginia Tech’s second-leading receiver and was especially strong in the red zone. He made 42 catches for 559 yards last season and his talent shone during Virginia Tech’s loss to Notre Dame. Throughout the 2017 season, he caught two touchdowns which improved to seven touchdowns for the Hokies in 2018.

ODU will come to Blacksburg to play Virginia Tech this upcoming season on Sept. 9, however NCAA rules require transfers to sit out a year in order to become eligible, so Kumah will not play against his old team.

Fuente has been working with the team during spring training to fill his position, which will likely give Tre Turner and Damon Hazelton more playing time during the 2019 season. They will be on display during Tech’s spring game on April 13.