Baseball sports

On Tuesday, March 26, Virginia Tech baseball (16–9) faced off against the Liberty Flames (18–6). Virginia Tech ended up losing the game by a score of 6–1, giving the team its third straight loss. Pitcher Jack Dellinger started the game for the Hokies and Mason Meyer took the mound for the Flames.

The Hokies played tough to start the game, and through the first four innings, both teams were scoreless. After the first inning, Luke Scherzer came in to pitch for Dellinger and he proceeded to strike out eight batters through 3.2 innings. However, he couldn’t keep up his strong play and he ended up being the losing pitcher as four runs were scored while he was on the mound, all unearned.

In the top of the fifth inning, the leadoff batter for Liberty reached base on an error committed by third baseman Kevin Madden. A single was then given up followed by another infield error, resulting in one scored run and runners on first and second. Scherzer walked another batter, loading the bases, and was replaced by Connor Yoder on the mound. The next two at-bats featured a wild pitch which scored one run, and a single which scored two more. After that disastrous inning, the Hokies were left with a four-run deficit.

In the next inning, Virginia Tech attempted to get back into the game. Carson Taylor led the inning off with a full count walk. Luke Horanski doubled to center field, advancing Taylor to third. Nick Biddison took one for the team and loaded the bases after getting hit by a pitch. In the next at-bat, Nick Owens grounded into a double play. This scored in Taylor, which ended up being their only run of the game.

In the top of the seventh, the Flames added two more runs, building their lead to a 6–1 final score.

The Hokies received solid performances from designated hitter Horanski and second baseman Jack Owens, but the team was unable to capitalize with runners on base. Horanski batted 2–4 with a double and Owens batted 2–3 with a stolen base and a walk.

On Friday, March 29, the Hokies will look to end their losing streak as they begin a three-game home series against Clemson. The first game of the series will start at 6 p.m. at English Field at Union Park.