VT Women's Soccer vs ETSU - Mikayla Mance

Mikayla Mance (12) attempts to score a goal as ETSU defends against it. The Hokies win 2–0 against ETSU, Sept. 10, 2018.

The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team remained undefeated after sweeping both matchups in the Bulldog Classic. The Hokies defeated Georgia 2–0 on Friday night and knocked off Auburn 3–1 on Sunday afternoon; Tech improves to 4–0 on the season.

The Tigers got off to a hot start, putting up two shots and a corner kick attempt within the first 10 minutes. Senior midfielder Bri Folds fired a shot that ricocheted off the right goal post in the fourth minute.

Despite the slow start, Tech midfielder Emmalee McCarter scored in the 12th minute to give the Hokies an early 1–0 lead. The sophomore recorded her first goal of the season and her first career collegiate goal. Sophomore Molly Feighan assisted the goal for her third career assist.

The Hokies struck again late in the first half as senior midfielder Mikayla Mance scored her third goal in four games this season. The Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, native has been unstoppable this season and leads the team in goals. McCarter gained another point by assisting Mance’s 33rd minute goal; she now has three assists on the season.

The Hokies and Tigers ended a highly contested first half with the score 2–0 in favor of Virginia Tech. Despite the two-goal deficit, Auburn matched Tech in shots with five and gained three corners to Tech’s two. Both teams played aggressive first halves as the Hokies tallied four fouls while the Tigers totaled two.

The Hokies added an insurance goal early in the second half (52nd minute) as Kelsey Irwin netted her first goal of the season. The senior defender already has two assists this season.

The Tigers scored their first goal of the game in the 57th minute as Folds converted a penalty kick. The Auburn penalty is the first goal allowed on the season by goalkeeper Mandy McGlynn and the Hokies. Tech’s lead was cut to 3–1, but the Hokies were able to maintain an advantage throughout the rest of the game.

The Hokies held on to the lead and finished the game with a 3–1 advantage, winning their first four games to start the season.

Virginia Tech returns home for a night game against Alabama at Thompson Field on Sept. 5. The matchup will be aired on the ACC Network through ESPN.