Virginia Tech Men's Soccer vs Notre Dame

Virginia Tech's final starting lineup huddle as kickoff approaches. Oct. 18, 2019. 

Following an upset victory against Louisville in the first round, Virginia Tech (9-5-3) lost to Wake Forest (13-3-2) in penalty kicks to end its run in the ACC Tournament. The Demon Deacons beat the Hokies 6-5 in penalties after tying at 2-2 through the end of regulation and overtime. Tech came into the tournament as the No. 11 seed while the Demon Deacons were ranked No. 3.

Through the start of the game, Wake Forest applied heavy pressure and appeared to be much more aggressive offensively. The Demon Deacons combined for eight shots in a scoreless first half, compared to just three for the Hokies.

Tech goalkeeper Mathijs Swaneveld tied a career high with 10 saves, four of which came in the first 30 minutes. Despite the offensive onslaught by Wake Forest in the first half, the Hokies maintained a 0-0 shutout heading into half time.

The Demon Deacons came out hot in the second half just as they were in the first, forcing Swaneveld to make his sixth save of the night within the first two minutes of the half.

While it seemed like only a matter of time, Wake Forest found the scoreboard first with a 60th minute goal by senior midfielder Joey DeZart.

The Hokies picked up the intensity in the second half, but still managed only three shots to the Demon Deacons’ seven.

In the 75th minute, sophomore forward Kyle Holcomb scored a goal that appeared to seal the deal for Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons led 2-0 with about 15 minutes left to play.

However, the Hokies kept attacking the goal and pushing for a comeback. In the 78th minute, senior forward James Kasak scored Tech’s first goal of the game and cut Wake Forest’s lead to 2-1.

Needing a late equalizer, freshman Daniel Pereira scored in the 82nd minute to tie the game at 2-2.  Pereira has scored a goal in Tech’s last three games.

Ninety minutes was not enough to decide the match, as both teams would end regulation tied at 2-2. Wake Forest continued to be the aggressor in overtime, putting up three shots in the first overtime and three in the second overtime. However, it was Swaneveld who again proved to be crucial to Tech’s efforts as he kept the Demon Deacons from scoring a game-winning goal.

After two scoreless overtimes, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech headed to a shootout in which seven players take penalty kicks to decide the winner.

In penalties, Wake Forest’s first attempt by senior midfielder Alistair Johnston was saved by Swaneveld to give the Hokies early momentum. Tech scored on its first four attempts, but Wake Forest goalkeeper Dominic Peters saved two out of the last three shots for the Hokies. On the Wake Forest side, the Demon Deacons made their next six shots to win the shootout 6-5.

The Hokies are eliminated from the ACC Tournament, while the Demon Deacons advance to play Virginia in the semifinals. Virginia Tech will await the NCAA Selection Show on Nov. 18 to find their seed in the NCAA Tournament. The Hokies have made three straight trips to the NCAA Tournament.