Virginia Tech vs. Georgia Tech, Oct. 30, 2021

Image courtesy of Hokie Sports.

Offense

Quarterback: B+

Junior quarterback Braxton Burmeister, who has one of the lowest completion percentages in Division I FBS with .533%, burned the Yellow Jacket defense with his arm several times on Saturday. Burmeister’s highlight play of the game came on the second drive when he found Tré Turner for a 69-yard score that accounted for one of his two touchdowns on the day.

Burmeister also remained efficient in-game, as he went 15-for-25 for 254 yards while picking up 46 more yards on the ground with his highly-touted speed.

Running Backs: A

After his dominating three-touchdown performance last week against Syracuse, freshman running back Malachi Thomas put up another solid performance with 103 yards on 25 carries. Right behind Thomas in the run game was Raheem Blackshear, who put up his best rushing performance of the season with 83 yards on 14 carries of his own. The main running back tandem for the Hokies kept drives alive and served as an excellent change of pace. 

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: B+

The receiving core for the Hokies was headlined by junior wideout Tré Turner, who had his best game of the season with seven catches for 187 yards including the aforementioned 69-yard touchdown early in the game. 

Outside of Turner, sophomore Tayvion Robinson caught a four-yard touchdown pass of his own to go along with four catches for 27 yards. Sophomore tight end Nick Gallo also had a highlight play, as he took his lone catch of the day for a 27-yard gain.

Offensive Line: B+

The front line for the Hokies did just about everything well against the Yellow Jackets’ pass rush. They opened up running lanes for Thomas and Blackshear while only giving up two sacks in the passing game. Additionally, the line only gave one quarterback hurry and four tackles for losses.

Defense

Defensive Line: B-

After an abysmal performance against Syracuse last week, the Hokie defensive front responded with a superb performance. Other than a 61-yard run from Jahmyr Gibbs, the front four was quite stingy, limiting the Yellow mJacket backfield to less than 200 yards.

Linebackers: A

Although the entire linebacking core played a clean game, one player in particular stood out. Week after week, Alan Tisdale has balled out, no matter the circumstances. Tisdale continued his stellar season by stuffing the stat sheet, finishing with 12 total tackles and 2.5 TFLs. 

Defensive Backs: A

The Virginia Tech secondary has played exceptionally well all season. On Saturday, they limited Jeff Simms to 183 passing yards and forced one interception. The Hokies have held every ACC opponent they've faced this season to under 236 passing yards. For reference, Clemson, an ACC powerhouse, has surrendered at least 236 passing yards to three in-conference opponents this season.