VT Football vs. Mami, Nov. 20, 2021

Offense

Quarterbacks: B-

Braxton Burmeister seemed to get off to a slow start, not scoring a touchdown in the first quarter and giving the Hokies very minimal time on the field. Consistent switching out between Burmeister and backup quarterback Connor Blumrick in the first half could have been seen as a strategy to confuse the Hurricanes, but it only seemed to impact the Hokies.

The Hokies entered the second half trailing with a score of 13–28, and Blumrick took charge with two touchdowns. With the typical rush heavy game and a spectacular 28-yard pass to Da’Wain Lofton for a first down in the third, Blumrick was able to bring back a fight and put the Hokies up to 26 at the end of that quarter. While nothing else was able to be done and a loss was ultimately received, No. 4 Blumrick is proving his position as an upcoming Hokie starter. 

Running Backs: C

With a game highly reliant on a rushing strategy, the running backs had little room to shine.  Malachi Thomas was third for Virginia Tech rushing, coming in at 39 yards, with Blumrick and Burmeister at 132 and 52 rushing yards respectively. Raheem Blackshear also did not have as much yardage on the board as usual, with 3 yards and no touchdown. Overall, the Hokies played a game heavily based on rushing the ball, but did not utilize players who are specialized in doing so.

Wide Receivers and Tight Ends: B

While Tré Turner suffered a respiratory injury a few games ago, he was still the leader in receiving yards, coming in at 44 yards with one touchdown. Lofton caught a 28-yard pass from Blumrick in the third, contributing in bringing points back to the Hokies.

Offensive Line: C

The offensive line was nothing more than decent, but had vast areas for improvement. Allowing four sacks, two each against Burmeister and Blumrick, the line showed that it was not playing at its best. Unable to stop the Miami defense, it limited the field time of the Hokies, especially during the first half.

Defense

Defensive Line: B-

The first half of the game showcased the weakness of the defensive line, as it allowed for 28 points by halftime. The Hokie defense did improve during the second half, only allowing 10 more points by the end of the game, but it was unable to prevent a loss.

Linebackers: B-

Dax Hollifield came in with six total tackles and six solo tackles while Keshon Artis came in with four total tackles and three solo tackles. The linebackers exhibited their true power towards the second half of the game, limiting the points on the scoreboard for the Hurricanes. However, they were unable to do the same in the beginning, allowing Miami to start with an early lead.

Defensive Backs: B-

Chamarri Conner came in with 11 total tackles and nine solo tackles, but there was room for overall adjustments. The Hokie defense was not playing at the level it should have been, but it did show that it could come back when needed.