VT Football vs. Pittsburgh

Virginia Tech's Amare Barno (11) misses a pass, Oct. 16 2021

Offense

Quarterback: C-

Braxton Burmeister had one of his worst games of the year on Saturday in what continues to be a tough season for the first-year starter. The mobile quarterback completed only 11 of 32 passes for 134 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He also rushed nine times for 19 yards on the day. A couple of nice throws to Tré Turner and Tayvion Robinson along with a few nice rushes saved the quarterback’s day from a worse grade.

Running Backs: C+

The running back unit had little impact in the game, as the Hokies were down throughout much of the matchup. The group held up well in pass protection, but were uninspiring on the ground. A couple big runs late in the game by freshman Malachi Thomas helped the group’s grade a bit, but needless to say, it wasn’t a big day on the ground for Virginia Tech.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: C+

The wide receivers were the best unit on the field for the Virginia Tech offense on Saturday, but they weren’t perfect. Receivers Tré Turner and Tayvion Robinson made their usual big plays in the game, including a spectacular one-handed catch by Robinson in the red zone. However, untimely drops by the unit aided in a rough day on the offensive side of the ball for the Hokies.

Offensive Line: C+

The offensive line was good, not great in the matchup with Pitt. The group gave up three sacks on the day; however, only one of them was the fault of the unit. The offensive line held up in pass protection throughout the day, but Burmeister’s inability to make the necessary throws to his receivers led to plenty of stalled drives and a lack of offensive potency.

Defense

Defensive Line: D

The Hokie’s front four struggled to control the line of scrimmage through the entire game. After getting down double digits early, Justin Hamilton’s defense surrendered a season-high 208 rushing yards. Other than Jordan Williams’ sack late in the first quarter, the Hokie front four had a lackluster performance

Linebackers: C

Even though the entire defense missed veteran linebacker Dax Hollifield in the first half, this game was lost in the film room. The Panthers did a great job getting their running backs out in open space, forcing defensive backs to make tackles. Alan Tisdale carried the load, finishing the game with seven total tackles.

Defensive Backs: C+

The Hokie secondary was the bright spot for this team. Despite giving up over 200 passing yards, defensive backs can’t stay on the field for close to 40 minutes and not be vulnerable to big plays. Chamarri Conner stayed active in the passing game, finishing with two pass breakups.