Men's Basketball v. Gardner-Webb

Isaiah Wilkins (1) sets to shoot free throw after Gardner-Webb foul, Dec. 15, 2019.

Cartier Diarra, a guard who has proven to be an asset to his former team at Kansas State, chose Virginia Tech on March 31 as the school at which he will play his final season. The 6-foot-4-inch, 185-pound junior scored a total of 424 points for the Wildcats in the 2019-20 season, averaging 13.3 points per game. Diarra had an average of 4.2 assists per game and a 3-point field goal percentage of 30.5.

Diarra will be immediately eligible to play since he qualifies as a graduate transfer. The athletic guard will add a dynamic playing style to an already solid back court in Blacksburg.

Diarra was welcomed into Hokie Nation almost immediately after it was announced that current Virginia Tech guard Isaiah Wilkins would be entering the transfer portal. The sophomore from North Carolina played for the Hokies the last two seasons. Wilkins has a career average with the Hokies of 4.5 points per game and played in all 32 games in the 2019-20 season, starting in five matches.

The Tech men’s basketball team looks forward to a promising future for the upcoming season in Mike Young’s second year as head coach. These moves will hopefully add the needed depth and ability Tech needs to make a NCAA tournament run in the near future.