2019 ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships

Hokies' Jacory Patterson starts off the block as soon as the gun fires off at Rector Field House, Feb. 22, 2019.

The Virginia Tech track and field team split up this weekend as a portion of the team traveled to the Camel City Invitational in Winston-Salem, North Carolina and the other stayed in Blacksburg, Virginia, for the Doc Hale Elite Meet.

A lot of notable performances came from the Camel City Invitational. During day one, the top four finishers of the men’s 3000-meter race were all Hokies. Sophomore Antonio Lopez Segura finished first with a time of 8:09.24, sophomore Benjamin Nibbelink finished behind Segura Lopez with the time of 8:11.99, redshirt sophomore Ben Fleming finished third with the time of 8:12.73, and finally completing the quadfecta redshirt junior Fitsum Seyoum finished the race with 8:15.93. 

Also on day one, senior distance runner Mikayla Richardson earned sixth in the 5000-meter race with a 17:49.54 performance. Junior mid-distance runner Thierry Siewe Yanga finished the men’s 800-meter dash at 1:54.62 and got seventh place overall. 

On day two, sophomore Eldon Phillips placed 10thout of 58 runners in the 400-meter dash with a 50.79 run. In the men’s 3000-meter race, redshirt senior Peter Seufer put up an impressive performance as he placed second in the race with 7:53.72, eclipsing his old personal record of 7:59.60 which he performed at the ACC Indoors Championships last season. 

In the men’s 800-meter dash junior Bashir Mosavel-Lo ran a 1:50.43 to finish sixth overall. In the women’s Camel City Elite 800-meter dash freshman Lindsey Butler ran a 2:07.78 to finish sixth as well. 

In the women’s 3000-meter race, senior Sara Freix got fourth out of 11 runners as she ran a strong time of 9.11.85, nearly 10 seconds faster than her old personal record. In the last race for the Hokies, the men’s mile, redshirt senior Diego Zarate ran 4:01.09 and redshirt senior Jack Joyce ran 4:03.65. Zarate placed sixth as Joyce placed ninth.

In the Doc Hale Elite Meet, the Hokies showed out as there were a plethora of top three finishes. On day one, senior Lauren Berman and freshman Hannah Ballowe placed first and second in the women’s 800-meter dash. Berman ran a 2:07.50 and Ballowe ran a 2:11.51. In the men’s 60-meter dash finals sophomore Cole Beck ran 6.79 and placed first overall. In the women’s 60-meter dash finals, junior Kennedy Dennis ran a 7.43 and placed second. 

Virginia Tech had a trifecta in the men’s 400-meter dash as sophomore Jacory Patterson (46.41), junior Patrick Forrest (47.862) and sophomore Miles Green (47.865) placed top three in the event. The women’s 400-meter dash had three Hokies with top six finishes: senior Arlicia Bush second at 54.50, senior Nykah Smith in fourth at 55.55, and finally freshman Ariana Rivera in sixth at 56.92.

For the field side of things, freshman KJ Moore and sophomore Donovan Louis both earned top five finishes in men’s long jump; Moore placed second with a 7.14 meter jump and Louis placed fifth with a 6.98 meter jump. In the women’s weight throw, three Hokies placed in the top four: Graduate student Pavla Kuklova came in second at 18.64 meters, senior Emma Thor came in third at 17.83 meters and senior Kajsa Wennberg came in fourth at 17.39 meters.

In day two, the most notable individual performance comes from junior sprinter Caitlan Tate who ran a 23.39 in the women’s 200-meter dash; that is now the new record for Virginia Tech. 

For the men’s mile, freshman Tyler Leeser got first place with a time of 4:13.28. Beck and senior Michael Davenport placed in the top five in the men’s 200-meter dash; Beck (21.49) came in third place and Davenport (21.86) placed fifth. 

In the women’s shot put, sophomore Essence Henderson placed second with an impressive throw of 15.59 meters. On the flipside in the men’s shot-put, sophomore Tyson Jones took third place with a throw of 18.62 meters.

In both the men’s and women’s 4x400 meter relays, Virginia Tech placed first. The men’s relay team finished at 3:12.41 and the women’s relay team came in at 3:36.24. With that time of 3:36.24, the Hokies broke the previous record for the women’s 4x400 relay.

Next week, the Tech track and field program will split up at three separate meets. The Hokies will send athletes to the Don Kirby Elite Invitational hosted by New Mexico, the Texas Tech Shootout, and the Iowa State Classic. The Hokies are just weeks away from the ACC Indoor Championships on Feb. 27 in South Bend, Indiana.